How can I use Pi-hole for all my devices except one (or more)?

Configuring your router’s DHCP options to force clients to use Pi-hole as their DNS server is the quickest way to get all of your network devices to use Pi-hole. But what if you want a certain device to not use it?

Perhaps a family member is frustrated with white or blacklisting sites. Or maybe you want to log queries for all network devices except for a few.

Solution

The solution is to manually set the DNS server to on the device you don’t want to use Pi-hole with. Setting the DNS server on a device will override the settings handed out via the DHCP options.

How to redirect connected clients from Pi-Hole to other DNS

There is one alternative to this if people want to set it at the pihole level.

This works especially well.

I’ve tried this tonight on my wife’s Windows 10 laptop. No matter what I do, the first entry in the DNS list is always the IPv6 address of my Pi-hole server.

Do I need to shut off the IPv6 DNS entry?

Use:

dhcp-option=tag:nopieipv6,option6:dns-server,[2606:4700:4700::1111],[2606:4700:4700::1001]

dhcp-host=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx,set:nopieipv6,Wife-Laptop

save it as etc /etc/dnsmasq.d/nopieipv6.conf

sudo service pihole-FTL restart

Would there be any way to do this by IP range? For example, I reserve upper IPs for my laptop, my phone, and the smart TV that get piholed, but lower IP numbers for the family and guests getting dynamic addresses (IP < 200) get the unfiltered internet.

Some webpages require you allow their ads to view them, and I’m the only one in the house that knows how to disable blocking and/or use the whitelist.