How to use PiHole on a single device (which doesn't have DNS settings).

I want to use pihole only for a single device, but it's a TV that doesn't let you change the DNS settings.

I've seen people talk about editing config files, but I can't find them on my SD card that has pihole installed.

You create a new configuration file in directory /etc/dnsmsaq.d per the thread below:

Trying to SSH in (after I figured out you cant access the config files from the SD unless it's booted) and none of the passwords are working. I already brought the SD back to my computer to add the SSH file so I could do this.

There should only be one password for the ssh login for user pi. If you are running Raspbian, the user is pi and the default password is raspberry.

ive tried that combo many times. I am definitely using raspbian

Have you previously changed this password using another utility such as raspi-config?

Where did you get that OS?

I haven't done any configuration. I followed the pihole instructions to install raspbian with the raspberry pi imager, then ran " curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash" on the terminal and followed the instructions and that's it. Everything went smoothly until this.

I was able to reset and get in. Is there no more straightforward guides on what files to create and what to put in them? That forum thread has a lot of different things.

Really wish this was easier to do, seems like a pretty obvious / common use case, it shouldn't require complicated things like editing files on the server.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.