Combination of family filtering, forced youtube restrictions, and VPN?

Hey everyone, I am brand new to the Pi-Hole, and I have a few specific things that I would like to accomplish. My setup before adding Pi-Hole to my network was:

• Asus RT-AC68U router running Merlin firmware
  • Using MAC-specific DNS filtering to restrict the kids computers/tablets to use DNS servers from cleanbrowsing.org, which filter adult content, force youtube into restricted mode, and force safe search. I actually have a paid sub for this service that allows me to customize a specific set of rules for a profile, which is then assigned a specific external DNS address that gets assigned via the routers
  • Recently subscribed to NordVPN, which I have implemented only at the Router level

I think I would like to greplace the functionality of the cleanbrowsing DNS with internal features of the Pi-Hole.

Expected Behaviour:

Ideally, I would like for the following to take place:

1. Pi-Hole implements the safe-search for google (and maybe other web search engines)

2. Pi-Hole implements Youtube restriction mode
    Use DNS to force youtube into restricted mode - and Pi-Hole

3. Pi-Hole implements adult filtering

4. VPN enabled at the router level, preferrably using the VPN-provided DNS servers to avoid DNS leaks
    Force Private/Paid VPN (like IPVanish or NordVPN) to use Pi-Hole DNS

5. Ability to bypass the pi-hole for specific computers, which would default to either the VPN DNS servers, or (less ideally) to use the DNS chosen in the Pi-Hole configuration
    How can I use Pi-hole for all my devices except one (or more)?

Actual Behaviour:

Unknown - still researching the best approach. I have bookmarked a few pages I found here that appear to allow for Items 1, 2, and 3, and I also see that there may be a way to implement Item 5 (as linked above).

Am I expecting too much of the Pi-Hole with the list above? If it works, I could get rid of the cleanbrowsing subscription, at the expense of getting the granular control over filters.

Debug Token:

[✓] Your debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/c1riod8lm5!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.