Add refresh and (or) live option to query log

Hey all,

Love love love Pi-Hole!

But a feature that seems to be missing for me is a simple refresh button on the query log page. Would also be great to have a checkbox or option that allows one to view the requests in real time.

As it is, I have to constantly refresh the page for new entries

That option is available under Tools /Tail pihole.log

You get to actually see what's queried, what's replied and who requested it :slight_smile:

An even prettier option is to run the command pihole -t from the command line. That will color code the output, showing the blocked entries and queries in different colors.

On the query page a "live" option would be great. Also, and more importantly allow me to refresh the log WITH whever device I selected.
Refreshing the log always clears the selection and I have to reselect.

Allowing to select multiple devices and having live refresh would also be fantastic.

When you start the Query Log from a link on the dash board (e.g. in the Top Clients list), you can refresh as often as you like and only the requested client will be shown. Even more only the data for this particular client is sourced from the Pi-hole so the page should also load somewhat quicker.

yes there is the tail log and CLI but it would be nice to watch the request come into the actual query log and be able to action the buttons to whitelist or blacklist

1 Like

I agree. Having the option to blacklist queries as they come in would be nice.

When actively troubleshooting a domain blocking issue, I refresh the Query Log page periodically to see if my change fixed the issue. I currently use my browsers page reload button or click on the navigation log to refresh the page.

Problems with the current setup

User Experience It seems like there should be a refresh button that does this since there's a use case for it within the app. The 1st thing a user will look for is a refresh button when they want to refresh the results . when they don't find one, they will interrupt their work to go hunt for a way to refresh the page.
Consistency Other pages like the whitelist and blacklist pages, have this, why doesn't this page have it?

Icing on the cake

Automatic refresh aka tailing the log . This is something that I do daily at my job when monitoring a process. This would make troubleshooting easier as changes and monitoring are done from the same Web app. Users can ssh to their pi-hole server and tail logs if they'd like, but this would give them another , convenient option.

You can use the tail log feature or pihole -t (the command line version). A refresh button would functionally be the same as just reloading the page since there is little performance difference (unless we implemented partial reloading or event streams).

I know. But if you want to pi-hole web app to behave like an application(UX), then the buttons and menu's will be in the application. Going outside of the app to use browser or even worse ssh'ing to run commands in a shell detracts from that.

It's also more convenient to do it right from the Web page. Once I'm done with my current project I might go back and tack a refresh button and/or log monitor web tool onto pi-hole and submit a merge request.