Query log versus pihole -t

I have put client ip's with their hostnames in my hosts file (RPI 4, Ubuntu):

10.10.10.123 ANetworkClient

What happens is, that if I open Query Log, the ip's hostname appears on the line where earlier the ip address is shown, but when using pihole -t there are still ip numbers shown. Is there a way to show host names as well or does this need a version update?

pihole -t is nothing else but a live tail of the log file. There are neither hostnames in the log file, nor does any post-processing happen here. The Query Log does a lot more than pihole -t and is aware of host names. It is not planed at this point to implement according post-processing into pihole -t.

However, I think there is a feature request to add a live updating version of the Query Log which would give you what you are looking for.

The log being tailed is the dnsmasq log at /var/log/pihole.log, and this contains only the requesting client IP. The query log has some additional processing done by Pi-hole to put the client name (if known) into the file. The dnsmasq log has none of that information.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.