Is it possible to no log any queries for a given MAC address

I want to setup a client by MAC address and have it be totally exempt from pi-hole. I currently setup an 'exclude' group and added the laptop target's MAC address to it (it has no adlists assigned) but I am still seeing queries to pi-hole from this device. Is there a way to no log any queries from a MAC address?

Any client using Pi-hole will have the queries logged the same as any other client, dependent on your privacy and logging settings. If you log one, you log them all.

Since you appear to not want that client to have any blocking, you have a few options.

1. Manually change the DNS assignment on that device to a DNS other than Pi-hole. You won't see any activity from that device in Pi-hole.

2. If Pi-hole is your DHCP server, you can use a dnsmasq configuration to assign that client (by MAC ID) a DNS server other than Pi-hole. This achieves the same as (1) above, but you don't have to manually configure the client.

Thank you for the link, I will dig into it.

You may want to upvote

1 Like

In my use case, pi-hole is not serving DNS, an OpenWRT device is. I was able to use the technique you guys mentioned to achieve the result on the OW router:

# cat /etc/config/dhcp

config tag 'tag1'
	option dhcp_option '6,1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1'

config host
	option name 'laptop'
	option mac '40:14:a0:29:ab:12
	option ip '10.9.7.200'
	option tag 'tag1'

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.