Option to not log selected client(s)

I'd like to have one (or more) clients not show up in the logs. They do not to be logged at all.

They need not to bypass the pihole. It is great that the pihole filter applies to them, I just want their 'noise' removed from the logs.

Is it possible already, or would this be a new feature?

Currently the most you can do is to hide the domains in the queries.

1 Like

ok, I'll check that, but as this client is connecting to many different domains and some domains are also checked by other clients, this is not an ideal solution....

Hi,

I think this is a very useful request that I would like to see implemented as well.

I set-up Pi-hole on a router to which several people have access to and I like to check out the query log. Without hiding the queries from all (or certain devices) I have a powerful monitoring tool at my hands that I don't want (at least I don't want the monitoring part).

I am surprised to read so little about this feature to be honest.

Any update on this?

I'm in the same situation somehow. A server that should be filtered as well spoils my logs with cronjob-related DNS queries... So excluding that machine would be very helpful.

Please vote for this idea!

2 Likes

sadly my long awaited feature to opt out selected clients just from logging (but still filtering) hasn't made it to the new release :frowning:

cc @DanSchaper

this thread is more than 2 years old now but:
ist there a chance to implement this finally in the next release?

cheers + thanx for all the good work + the new dark mode looks great
tom

edit: isn't this feature easy to implement because this (IGNORE_LOCALHOST=no|yes) already is possible. or do i miss something?

edit2: would be great if there were some additional upvotes or at least an answer ...

3 Likes

Recently got started with first pihole, was surprised to see so many queries coming from my work laptop!

I set it up so those queries bypass the blocklist using group management but it has a lot more requests than all other clients combined for the 1st 24 hours - Aprox 43K out of 60K total.

Over time this seems like it will make my % blocked meaningless so would be good to be able to exclude it from the stats as well as the blocklist.

All the searches pointed here so guessing there is no work around other than sleeping / shutting down the work pc when not in use?

Since Pi-hole is configured to not block anything from that laptop, have you considered using a DNS other than Pi-hole for that laptop?

2 Likes

I mistakenly assumed the DNS settings would be locked behind admin rights (which I don't have) so hadn't tried it.

I checked this morning & it let me update the IPv4 dns. It has the windows shield icon on the adapter properties right click menu but that doesn't mean you need to elevate like I thought.

Thanks!

Just checkin' back in and hoping that this old idea will make it one day.

@TomMuc1 have you found something? Or moved on?

Just throwing my vote in for this feature! Seems the only other workaround is using router settings to send DNS queries (ona per client basis) to a different DNS resolver, which for blocking-without-logging means running another pihole or other adblocking dns service; It's a lot of mucking around and many routers dont give that level of control.