Well this is frustrating... Originally when I found this thread, I did follow the steps mentioned by jfb and observed the same results that g_p observed. (I forgot to mention that in my previous post.) Since you explicitly asked, I figured I'd follow those steps again and post my output.
However I'm no longer able to reproduce any of these issues! When I disable pihole now, DNS resolution continues to work exactly as expected. (In other words, only DNS filtering is disabled, as it should be.)
I've noticed this issue pop up multiple times over the last few weeks (more than just yesterday.) So I'm confident that it will resurface, but since I can no longer reproduce it reliably, I'm not sure how we can proceed with debugging it.
Just to answer your questions:
Bull , am I correct that your observed behaviour differs slightly from OP, as you have to actively restart Pi-hole where OP returns back to operational once the disable period expires?
My observed behavior differs slightly, but not exactly as you indicated. For my case, actively restarting pihole does fix DNS resolution. But it isn't required. Once the disabled period ends, after an additional period of about 5 minutes DNS resolution resumes normal operation.
What are you using as your Pi-hole's upstream DNS servers, and what are the nameservers used by your Pi-hole machine (usually defined in
In my Pi-Hole settings, I have OpenDNS (ECS) configured for both IPv4 checkboxes. Nothing else in that table is checked. The table to the right, for Custom Upstream DNS Servers is completely blank.
/etc/resolv.conf contains only a single (non-comment) line:
/etc/dnscd.conf is a larger file, but it ends with this reference to
# fallback to static profile on eth0
164 is the address of my PiHole.)
Thanks for taking the time to look into this with me