Some (WiFi?) devices not showing in Top Clients (Linksys WRT1900ACS)

I am only saying this because all I get to do with the phone is select the WAP name, enter the password and it connects.

There is on entering DNS, IP range, or anything else.
As the laptop (XP) connected and obeyed the DNS setting of PiHole, that implies to me that that side of things is working.

So only by eliminating everything else am I speculating on that which is not really liked or wanted.

I feel I may have to get back up to speed with wireshark.

IMHO, rebooting your router is a much quicker and easier first step than wiresharking. If it doesn’t help things, then move on to more complex troubleshooting.

From a client device, if you go to https://www.dnsleaktest.com and choose the standard test, it should tell you which DNS resolver is answering for that client. That’s a quick way to find out if your client is reaching for DNS other than what your pi-hole is configured to use.

1 Like

Thanks.

Done.

Dunno what to make of it.

I get 3 sites listed.

66.185.114.242 66.185.114.243 66.185.114.244 Which is weird. That is half way around the world from where I am.

I can try to get a screen grab, but it won't be that easy.

Which DNS are you configured to use in your pi-hole configuration?

9.9.9.9 .... how do I get to them? I'll get a screen shot if you want.
The 9999 extended name one.

The client you just ran the dnsleaktest on, it’s not connected to a VPN is it? What kind of device is it?

I hope it isn't on a VPN.

I haven't got to those things yet.

Samsung Tablet. (Old one)

This is what I saw on the tablet after I did the test.

Okay, so Quad9 DNS rides on WoodyNet* infrastructure. That does indicate your client is using Quad9. :+1: Now do you see queries from that client IP showing in your pi-hole admin console?

(*History of “WoodyNet” and PCH [Packet Clearing House] here)

I'm using the web page.

Alas no. When I go to the main page (Dashboard) down the bottom....

No. I'll do it again and check the IP number this time too.

When the tablet connects it gets .149 as its IP address. No sign of that on the page. :frowning:

Is there a site I could ..... "Ping" or something to create something for which I could search?

Have you restarted this Samsung tablet? If not, try that and see if it starts showing up in your pi-hole dashboard...

Or an alternate test would be to try going to some very obvious URL (www.lego.com or something) on your tablet and immediately refresh your pi-hole dashboard. Confirm if you see that URL show up in the logs on the dashboard.

I turn the WiFi off each time we are done.

But it is restarting now.

Restarted, reconnected. Got .149 again. No sign in PiHole.

Looked on the router's page. It sees it at .149.

It really sounds like your tablet is just hanging on to your Linksys router IP as the DNS server from the previous DHCP lease it obtained. Your DNS queries appear to be going through the pi-hole, but getting there by way of the router in the middle. Restarting should cause your tablet to refresh its lease and pick up the Pi-hole IP from your current DHCP settings.

I may wait and see what happens in 2 days.

Not that I am wanting to be difficult. Just the practicality of it all.

BTW: Did you look at the message I sent you?

Sounds like a good plan. I think I saw where your DHCP lease time is 1440mins, so 24 hours. By design, your clients will renew their DHCP lease at 1/2 lease time, so 720mins (12 hours). By that point, all clients should pick up the pi-hole IP address from the DNS configuration in your DHCP advertisement.

I did not see the message yet, but will look shortly. Looking forward to seeing how things look in a couple hours. :grin:

Well the tablet hasn't (probably) been on the network since I installed PiHole and that was more than 720 minutes ago.

Yeah, tomorrow..... tomorrow..... tomorrow...... (Gee, you are lucky you can't hear me sing.) :wink:

Alas it is Sunday night the scheduled power outage, and alas Monday morning I am bugging out for 2 weeks to do other things. ARGH! If it is not one thing: it is another.

1 Like

Oh, one thing that may be interesting:

I edited the TV's IP settings and changed its DNS to PiHole.

Now I am seeing a small increase in/on the hit rate from the TV to PiHole for DNS requests.

Though I am a bit confused who that is happening. (Though it is only DNS requests) The TV is blocked from internet access by the router.

But it will be interesting to see to whom it wants to talk.

Well your TV's IP can be denied internet access at the router, but your TV can make DNS queries to an INTERNAL DNS server (which obviously is the case with your pi-hole) and the pi-hole is the device making the upstream DNS request to the Quad9 servers on the internet. So therefore, your TV still can't access the IP(s) that are returned by the resulting DNS query, but the scenario is perfectly valid and is not indicative of a configuration issue at this point.

As an aside, my Samsung TV likes to call out to all sorts of weird tracking domains, which I am not okay with. So I actually just block those domains in my pi-hole so the pi-hole responds to those queries with a nearly instant 0.0.0.0 or :: response to keep those queries from even consuming any internet bandwidth at all. That's another option you may want to consider.

If want to know what DNS server(s) your pads and phones are using, install a network info app on that device.
You might want to install a couple to compare as I've seen some network info apps to report wrong info.

1 Like

Yes, but I am not at that stage yet.

PiHole was only installed a few days ago.

But the router's parental blocking does seem to be working / doing what I want.

Thanks. I'd forgotten those!

Shall do ASAP.