One client shows no query results on the Web UI, just an error message

When I log in to the pi-hole admin page, one specific client only produces an error message (An error occurred while loading the data) instead of results.

I have mostly Apple devices on my network, and recently built a low-cost PC for some school-work I’m doing. I manually assigned IP address to all of the common devices on the network, and used notated their names in the /etc/hosts file show names would show instead of IP addresses in the client list. When I check recent queries from my PC it doesn’t show anything and the above error message is displayed. This happens regardless of which web browser or client I use to check. Any ideas?

You havn’t posted the OS running on the PC.
If its Windows:

My apologies, it is Windows 10 installed on the PC, and I’ve already checked, the DNS provider for the PC is the IP address of the Pi-hole.

I already ran ipconfig, so I’ll add /all and make sure there isn’t a secondary/additional DNS set. I will return with an update.

My apologies, I pointed you the wrong way.
Something else going on.

These bits confuses me:

Is it only one client device that has troubles displaying recent queries or all of them ?

If its only the one Windows10 PC, and your sure ipconfig output is correct … I dont know what next :frowning:
Power cycle all devices involved as a last resort.
Post a debug token here for the devs and mods to have a look:

To elaborate and hopefully resolve the confusion, I have around 15-20 devices on my network, mostly wireless but a few wired. The majority are Apple devices, with one notable exception, the Windows 10 PC I built a month ago. Regardless of which device/browser I use when I log in to the web UI it works completely normally except when I try to view the query log for the Windows 10 PC. When I do I get the error message from the original post.

I will restart everything one more time (all at once this time), and follow the debug instructions if the restart doesn’t resolve the problem.

Any data with below one when replace “<WINPC_IP_ADDRESS>” with actual IP ?

echo ">getallqueries-client <WINPC_IP_ADDRESS>" | nc -v localhost 4711

The command you posted returns the following:

Connection to localhost 4711 port [tcp/*] succeeded!
1567982756 PTR r.dns-sd.udp.`ks chris_pc 2 0 0 0
1567982756 PTR dr.dns-sd.udp.`ks chris_pc 2 0 0 0
1567982756 PTR lb.dns-sd.udp.`ks chris_pc 2 0 0 0
1567982756 PTR b.dns-sd.udp.[0.7.168.192.in](http://0.7.168.192.in)-addr.arpa chris_pc 2 0 0 0
1567982756 PTR db.dns-sd.udp.[0.7.168.192.in](http://0.7.168.192.in)-addr.arpa chris_pc 2 0 0 0
1567982756 PTR r.dns-sd.udp.[0.7.168.192.in](http://0.7.168.192.in)-addr.arpa chris_pc 2 0 0 0
1567982756 PTR dr.dns-sd.udp.[0.7.168.192.in](http://0.7.168.192.in)-addr.arpa chris_pc 2 0 0 0
1567982756 PTR lb.dns-sd.udp.[0.7.168.192.in](http://0.7.168.192.in)-addr.arpa chris_pc 2 0 0 0
1567982756 A [client-download.steampowered.com](http://client-download.steampowered.com) chris_pc 2 0 0 0
1567982756 A [client-download.steampowered.com](http://client-download.steampowered.com) chris_pc 2 0 3 142
1567982756 A [dns.msftncsi.com](http://dns.msftncsi.com) chris_pc 2 0 0 0

Followed by another thousand lines (give or take) with similar results before the end of message.

Related to the my previous post, restarting everything did not resolve the issue. How do I submit the token generated by creating the debug log?

As additional information, when I view the unfiltered query log and click on the client name of the PC in question it successfully filters to only show results from the Windows 10 PC. But when I’m on the dashboard of the Admin Console and click on the PC’s client name in either the Top Clients (total) or Top Clients (blocked only) list I get the previously mentioned error message.

Edit: I need to make a correction, viewing the complete query log in the web UI Admin Console worked earlier, but now it intermittently returns the same error message that I get when clicking on the PCs client name in the two Top Clients lists.

Data seems to be available.
Not sure how the web GUI renders this.
Live tail the lighttpd error/access logs when this happens:

sudo tailf /var/log/lighttpd/error.log

sudo tailf /var/log/lighttpd/access.log

Post the debug token here on Discourse.
Maybe generate a new one as data uploaded to Pi-hole’s Tricorder has got a retention of 48 hours.