Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behavior:

Actual Behaviour:

its been about a week ive had pihole running on my asus 68u i havent had any issues until yesterday the internet completely shutdown and i couldnt get anything back up and running my router said it was disconnected from the internet even after a soft reset of the network i took the time to remove the pihole setting on my router before resetting just the network and router but it was still showing a disconnection eventually i had to hard reset my router cause i couldnt figure out the issue then setup pihole again but before hard ressetting my router i saved the sys log and went threw it and this was the only thing that seems like was the issue about the same time everything went down.( Jan 8 16:55:28 dnsmasq[32139]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150) now im no expert in network by far at all and only know bare basics to get around and what i read on the internet so i dont really have the knowledge of figuring out why this happened or what to do about it ive read a few forums about this issue here and there but i cant make sense of what to do about it and i wanna post my sys log but im not sure even what kinda of private information is in it that i shouldnt be showing the world so if anyone has any info about this issue and can help to prevent it again from happenning id greatly appreciate it my pihole setup is a rpi4 all default setting with cloudflare as my dns if that makes any difference.

Debug Token:

i cant cause i made a fresh install of pihole on another pi.

1 Like

Do you have conditional forwarding enabled?

Is this a setting I should look for on my router or in the pihole web admin page?

Web admin page in the settings > DNS menu.

I do not have conditional forewarding enabled

ive uploaded these images hopeflly to give you a better look pretty much all these settings are default on the router other then adding my pihole IP to the LAN dns server entry and on WAN entry on my router other then those two i havent made any changes at all within pihole or my router than what comes as default

NOT sure this is the one, consulting @DL6ER

in the dnsmasq source code (src/config.h), you'll notice a hard coded setting:

#define FTABSIZ 150 /* max number of outstanding requests (default) */

If this is a problem for you, you'll need to submit a feature request to increase that limit...

1 Like

That message is caused by a flood of DNS queries reaching your Pi-hole. 150 concurrent queries is nothing your would normally see on a home network by far.

There could be two reasons for this:

1. one or more devices are doing massive amounts with DNS queries
    (e.g. a BitTorrent client with lacklustre DNS rate limit implementations could be causing this).

If you suspect that to be the case, you should find out what device and software is causing this.

1. you have created a DNS loop
    (e.g. between your router and your Pi-hole, or between another DNS resolver and Pi-hole on your Pi-hole machine)

Since your screenshots show you've set your Pi-hole as upstream DNS server for your router (via WAN Internet Connection settings), you could have closed such an option 2. loop if you'd configured your Pi-hole to use your router as upstream DNS server (or by using Conditional Forwarding, but your screenshots show you haven't enabled that).

On your Pi-hole machine, the following command will list the upstream DNS servers your Pi-hole is using:

grep "server=" --include=\*.conf -rn /etc/dnsmasq.d/
1 Like

In the unlikely event that @Linuxmade88 is running some software that absolutely requires that excessive amount of concurrent DNS queries, you could configure dnsmasq to lift its concurrent limit (as per dnsmasq documentation):

-0, --dns-forward-max=<queries>

Set the maximum number of concurrent DNS queries.
The default value is 150, which should be fine for most setups.
The only known situation where this needs to be increased is when using web-server log file resolvers, which can generate large numbers of concurrent queries.

However, I would recommend establishing the actual cause for the DNS query flooding first, before applying this setting blindly. No amount of limit increase will alleviate a DNS loop.

It is. However, as @Bucking_Horn mentioned, it could be increased without recompiling. I also agree that it should not be increased. There are serious issues with your upstream server when this message appears. Either there is a loop or your clients are generating too many requests the upstream cannot handle. It is very unlikely that this will get better over time when even more and more queries come in from your clients.

@Linuxmade88 Does this message still show up if you use a different upstream destination than Cloundflare?

ok I understand, @DL6ER no i havent tried another upstream destination but i will give it a shot and see if this problem continues pretty much if yo guy recommend not increasing the max queries then I dont wanna do that as far as my setup at this house its pretty basic large home familly of 5 streaming , light gaming and internet surfing no bittorrenting or anything abnormal that shold be bringing up those numbers like that so i suspect possibly a setp fault on my end so my next question is this, i did the setup tutorial i found on DASGeek youtube but are there any reccomendations other then changing the upstream destination that i could make just to have this thing as basic as it gets and are there any ideas maybe HOW ive created that loop and I have added the pihole IP in my WAN and LAN setting do you think i should just use maybe one? if i remember correctly im pretty sure when i first started this i had jst only added it to the LAN and didnt see any signs of it doing anything then read a couple forums and tried both then seen progress.

Did i say something wrong or do you guys just refrain from giving that type of advice ?

Do you still have the problem? If so, please send us the token for a new debug log.

Well, did you follow my suggestions about analyzing a possible loop?

Pi-hole is an open source project without any license fees and, hence, cannot hire any professional support staff. There is no general guideline to follow. I don't think anyone refrained from giving any special advise. After all, we're all just hobbyists. Anyone has different ideas.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.