Allow increase in the number of concurrent DNS queries with dnsmasq (current max: 150)

Dear Team,

I would like to try and use Pi-hole for my neighbourhood community network internally. When trying out the recent version:

Pi-hole version is v5.3.1 (Latest: v5.3.1)
AdminLTE version is v5.5.1 (Latest: v5.5.1)
FTL version is v5.8.1 (Latest: v5.8.1)

I came across the fixed query limit of dnsmasq integration (see Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150) for an extended discussion).

We have more than 2000 households in this community network and I can easily see queries coming from even larger number of devices (most folks have multiple devices at home!). There are no DNS loops etc. to worry about in this case and it's all non-malicious query traffic...

Please could you consider enabling a feature to allow a runtime option to be adjusted for the underlying dnsmasq?

I am aware that I could install a separate dnsmasq instance and adjust that as follows:

-0, --dns-forward-max=
Set the maximum number of concurrent DNS queries.
The default value is 150, which should be fine for most setups.
The only known situation where this needs to be increased is when using web-server log file resolvers, which can generate large numbers of concurrent queries.

However, having this integrated within Pi-hole would be a much cleaner solution. I could also try to edit the running conf and parameters in the dnsmasq.conf within Pi-hole, however, that may get overwritten with a version update so I am unsure on that as an option.

Your suggestions and thoughts would be very welcome - happy to donate for this cause as well.

You should be able to create another config file 'fragment' under /etc/dnsmasq.d/. I have done so for my PiVPN and custom LAN configuration values, such as /etc/dnsmasq.d/10-ovpn.conf or /etc/dnsmasq.d/11-lan.conf. As long as their names are not the ones used by pi-hole, they will persist across upgrades.

thanks @tomporter518 -- your suggestion worked as a charm!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.