DNS Issue - Temporary failure in name resolution

My RPi pihole was just working fine a couple hours ago. However recently I had to restart my RPi because it was having problems connecting to the Google API I had it connected to (use it as a voice AIY Kit + PiHole). After reboot, the RPI seems to have problems with the DNS and I cannot ping website names, but I can ping IP addresses like ping 8.8.8.8 just fine.

Expected Behaviour:

ping google.com should return a response

Actual Behaviour:

ping google.com returns Temporary failure in name resolution
ping 8.8.8.8 works normally as expected and I get responses

Debug Token:

Router information

I am using TomatoUSB firmware (Shibby version) on my router, and I saw this similar topic and I checked to confirm I did not check off "Intercept DNS port (UDP 53)" in my Advanced > DHCP/DNS settings.

I also checked to make sure I did not have any iptable rules or firewall exceptions and in my router and on my RPi. I do not have any firewall settings blocking ports 53 or 80 as far as I know. iptables -L on my RPi is empty. In my router, Adminitrations > Scripts is empty.

3 Likes

-Thread can be closed-

Strange, after fiddling around with the RPI settings, DNS, iptables, and Google AIY kit configs, I tried the following sequence of steps, and now everything is working. Not sure if there was an update for RPi that fixed it but here is what I did and now its back to working just fine. Still don't know what the root cause of it was, but here is what I did for anyone who may have something similar.

1. Edit /etc/resolv.conf file and changed nameserver 127.0.0.1 to nameserver 1.1.1.1 just to get a connection working temporarily
  2. Confirmed the DNS was fixed by running ping google.com and getting a response
  3. Ran sudo apt-get update
  4. Re-ran ping google to make sure nothing broke and checked to see if the Pihole admin interface was still working and all green in the top left
  5. Restarted the RPi: sudo reboot
  6. PiHole and RPi working perfect and no more "Temporary failure in name resolution" when I ran ping google.com. The file resolv.conf is back to its default 127.0.0.1 upon reboot.
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.