Commonly Whitelisted Domains

I did try both, as normal domain pihole does not allow me to add and as regex it does allow me to add BUT then I receive errors in diagnose

It's not a valid regex for domains. If you want to do from 1 to 5 of the preceeding s, the syntax is

s{1,5}.symcb.com

Using the form with the s{1..5}.symcb.com means the braces are taken literally, and they're not valid domain characters so you receive Pi-hole diagnosis warnings until you delete the entry.

2 Likes

Given that the post has an easy option for copying the commands (hover on command, click on copy), would it make sense to modify the post to add the single quotes to the commands that use regex? I also encountered this issue, and had to do all the regex commands manually.

Looks like the PBS app on AppleTVs requires whitelisting 'pubads.g.doubleclick.net' or the video will not play (though audio can be heard in the background.

PBS has inserted their own 15 or 30-seconds ads at the beginning of any content.

Apple Maps

With these domains whitelisted I got Apple Maps working. (Map explore and satellite; street view; i am not sure if traffic and public transport are working 100%)

pihole -w gspe19-ssl.ls.apple.com
pihole -w gspe72-ssl.ls.apple.com
pihole -w gspe11-ssl.ls.apple.com
pihole -w gspe35-ssl.ls.apple.com

For streaming several channels (like ServusTV or WELT) on Fire HD tablets with Waipu.tv (app), whitelisting
imasdk.googleapis.com

seems to be necessary (otherwise channels won't load at all).

Disclaimer: With little to no knowledge on this domain I believe whitelisting this might introduce ad issues on other places (according to Commonly Whitelisted Domains - #41 by maxsteel or Werbung in Pro7 App auf FireTV).

I'm a bit new to this. Recently arstechnica.com can now detect usage of ad-blockers and throwing up a dialog to subscribe. I'd like to whitelist it but whitelisting the domain arstechnica.com does nothing. How can I accomplish only whitelisting the ad serve domains that arstechina is serving to me? Is there any way to only whitelist ad domains that are served from a particular site, but block them if they are served from other sites?

Not with Pi-hole. Pi-hole does not associate DNS queries with any particular website or app - it simply sees a stream of DNS queries from clients and answers them.

I noticed the album artwork on the SiriusXM app on my iphone was missing. I found that whitelisting the following domain fixed it:

zc.adswizz.com

whitelist c.amazon-adsystem.com and it will work.

I noticed my google discover page wasn't loading on pixel launcher.
I had to whitelist,

discover-pa.googleapis.com

to make it work

1 Like

It says that anyone can edit, but I can't edit the list. I have couple of domains to make some services work very well. How do I do it?

What happens when you try, do you get an error message? Post the domains here and I will add them if you wish.

1 Like

Someone approved me and I added a contribution to the list :smiley:

1 Like

iCloud Private Relay Domains

The following domains need to be whitelisted to enable iCloud Private Relay

pihole -w mask.icloud.com
pihole -w mask-h2.icloud.com

Instagram

pihole -w instagram.c10r.instagram.com
pihole -w i.instagram.com

This is what I found was blocking Instagram from working properly

For anyone that is using the A&E Android TV app you must whitelist this one for the app to work

Had to do it for my Nvidia Shield

aax-ott-c2s.amazon-adsystem.com

Magenta Cloud
tags-eu.tiqcdn.com

1 Like

No. These are handled as special domain in Pi-hole.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/configfile/#icloud_private_relay

1 Like

insights-collector.gog.com
is required for GOG galaxy to perform updates

Weather.com search

pihole -w mparticle.map.fastly.net