Allow V6 local resolution only

All,

I'm running v5.1.2 and trying to find a way to have Pi-Hole resolve local ipv6 addresses (meaning subnets inside my f/w) but answer with "::" for any address on the Internet.

I've setup ipv6 alongside ipv4 on all of my systems so I can get familiar with it. But my ISP can't even spell ipv6 so there is no point in resolving anything not local.

Is this important? No. Would it be nice and tidy? Yes.

Is anyone doing this?

Thanks

Pi-hole does not provide any of the answers for public domains; your chosen upstream DNS servers do.

Your clients will pick addresses from those answers that best fit them, based on available IP protocols and preference settings.
In particular, clients have no means to request data from public IPv6 addresses in the absence of a public IPv6 prefix.

Yes, I understand that and it appears that I wan't clear.

When an ipv6 domain is on a blocklist Pi-hole returns :: in the AAAA reply. What I want is for it to return :: for all domains outside of my localdomain and not even forward the request upstream. Make sense?

Thanks

If we could, it would still show in the query logs as a query from a client. I don't think you'd gain anything in tidiness and you probably would skew your percentages and stats.

I don't think there's a way to separate AAAA and A records, and if we could I don't see where the improvements would be.

Can you explain what the end goal is? What exactly would you gain from this if it worked?

I'm not concerned with the logs.

It's not about speed. It's not about bandwidth. It's not about logs. My only interest is in not retrieving information that is useless to me. I thought there would be a simple solution but now I"m sorry that I asked.

I was trying to get clarification so that I could understand the request, but if that's going to lead to this kind of response then I wish you the best and I'll move along.

It's not an easy solution and still experimental. Here is what I could think about (not 100% sure if I got what you tried to achieve):

The developers working on an improved regex (RegEx engine improvements), which allows to block AAAA queries completely. You could do that and add an additional regex to allow (whitelist) AAAA queries for your local domain only.

1 Like

Thanks, @yubiuser, that is what I was going to try next though I didn't know how to accomplish it. But you answered that too so I guess I'll just wait until the regex enhancements go live. I appreciate the information! :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.