Windows 10 - No response from server

Expected Behavior:

I am running Windows 10 and am using the Docker container. The host IP of the Windows 10 machine where the container is running is 192.168.1.103. The router IP is 192.168.1.1. When I do "nslookup google.com 192.168.1.103", I expect to get a response back with an IP address.

If I connect to the container with docker exec, I can do a nslookup from there and it works fine. Missing a step somewhere I believe or have something configured incorrectly, but it is not jumping out at me.

Docker command used to create the container

docker create --name=pihole -e DNS1=127.0.0.1 -e DNS2=192.168.1.1 \
-e TZ=America/Chicago -e PGID=1000 -e PUID=1000 -e WEBPASSWORD=password
-e ServerIP=192.168.1.103 -p 8087:80 -p 53:53 -p 67:67 -p 8443:443 \
-v C:\Users\user\Documents\Docker\pihole\config:/etc/pihole \
-v C:\Users\user\Documents\Docker\pihole\dnsmasq:/etc/dnsmasq.d \
pihole/pihole:latest

Actual Behaviour:

When I do "nslookup google.com 192.168.1.103, I get "No response from server".

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/nclgalh1j9

If you are getting no response from 192.168.1.103, there's either something blocking DNS traffic to reach Pi-hole (see ports prerequisites) , or there is no Pi-hole at that address.

As you are running Docker, the latter is more likely.
If you haven't actively chosen another, it would seem that you are using one of Docker's network modes that isolates your container into a network of its own (presumably, default bridge mode).

You want to familiarise yourself with Docker's network modes . Once you get a better understanding, you should then decide on the network driver that best suites your need.

For a start, you could run your Pi-hole container in host mode, giving up on isolation, and use the same network as the machine that Docker runs on. If you add additional services in other containers later, you may want to review this decision and again switch to another isolating mode.

For configuration hints with regards to your Pi-hole, have a read of Pi-hole's documentation for Running Pi-hole Docker.

I have reviewed all of the documentation and have followed it as far as I can tell. It appears others have had success running the Pi-hole container on Windows using bridge mode.
Link

"The host networking driver only works on Linux hosts, and is not supported on Docker Desktop for Mac, Docker Desktop for Windows, or Docker EE for Windows Server."

I do believe Docker is listening on ports 53 and 67 based on what I see in "Resource Monitor".

Sorry, I've not considered your use of Windows in my previous answer.

It would seem that available network drivers under Windows may indeed differ from normal Docker and also may have different defaults. That in return may depend on how exactly you run Docker under Windows, e.g. Hyper-V or WSL/WSL2 using Linux containers or Windows containers, or some third party VM, while availability of the first two may additionally be somehow tied to your exact version of W10.

I am not familiar at all with running Docker under W10, so cannot provide more specific advice.

As your question involves Docker's configuration and probably tuning Hyper-V or WSL, you may improve chances for an answer by consulting Docker's and/or MS's support sources as well.

Also, expanding your initial description by the exact virtualisation technique and network driver you employ may help to attract knowledgeable users with matching experiences here on this forum.

Changing from "-p 53:53" to "-p 53:53/tcp -p 53:53/udp" resolved the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.