White/Black List Empty

Folks,

As my previously working Pi-Hole would not update due to segmentation error I reloaded Raspian and the latest Pi-Hole.

So far so good but noticed my White list and Black list are empty - I seem to recall the previous version had entries in this section.

Is this a change?

Only asking as installation appeared to go fine but when I ssh into Pi to install Pi-Hole I twice got broken pipe and had to start again.

Geffers

Hm, sounds like a possible network issue. The whitelist should be populated with the domains of the block lists (so they don't block each other). What is the output of pihole -g?

Blockquotepihole -g
[i] Neutrino emissions detected...
[✓] Pulling blocklist source list into range

[i] Target: raw.githubusercontent.com (hosts)
[✓] Status: Retrieval successful

[i] Target: mirror1.malwaredomains.com (justdomains)
[✓] Status: No changes detected

[i] Target: sysctl.org (hosts)

[i] Target: zeustracker.abuse.ch (blocklist.php?download=domainblocklist)

[i] Target: s3.amazonaws.com (simple_tracking.txt)

[i] Target: s3.amazonaws.com (simple_ad.txt)

[i] Target: hosts-file.net (ad_servers.txt)

[✓] Consolidating blocklists
[✓] Extracting domains from blocklists
[i] 129,151 domains being pulled in by gravity
[✓] Removing duplicate domains
[i] 106,009 unique domains trapped in the Event Horizon

[✓] Adding 6 blocklist source domains to the whitelist
[✓] Whitelisting 1 domain
[i] Blacklisted 1 domain
[✓] Parsing domains into hosts format
[✓] Cleaning up stray matter

[✓] Force-reloading DNS service
[✓] DNS service is running
[✓] Pi-hole blocking is Enabled

There is one entry in whitelist and blacklist - both of which I entered otherwise they are still empty.

I'm using Firefox Quantum 57.0.1 64 bit, when I switch fields on PiHole admin I get a very quick window that seems to say javascript is disabled, disappears too quick to read details but if I go to about:config it shows javascript enabled = TRUE

Geffers

What is the output of:

pihole -w raw.githubusercontent.com mirror1.malwaredomains.com sysctl.org zeustracker.abuse.ch s3.amazonaws.com hosts-file.net

Blockquote
pihole -w raw.githubusercontent.com mirror1.malwaredomains.com sysctl.org zeustracker.abuse.ch s3.amazonaws.com hosts-file.net
[i] Adding raw.githubusercontent.com to whitelist...
[i] raw.githubusercontent.com does not exist in blacklist, no need to remove!
[i] raw.githubusercontent.com does not exist in wildcard blacklist, no need to remove!
[i] Adding mirror1.malwaredomains.com to whitelist...
[i] mirror1.malwaredomains.com does not exist in blacklist, no need to remove!
[i] mirror1.malwaredomains.com does not exist in wildcard blacklist, no need to remove!
[i] Adding sysctl.org to whitelist...
[i] sysctl.org does not exist in blacklist, no need to remove!
[i] sysctl.org does not exist in wildcard blacklist, no need to remove!
[i] Adding zeustracker.abuse.ch to whitelist...
[i] zeustracker.abuse.ch does not exist in blacklist, no need to remove!
[i] zeustracker.abuse.ch does not exist in wildcard blacklist, no need to remove!
[i] Adding s3.amazonaws.com to whitelist...
[i] s3.amazonaws.com does not exist in blacklist, no need to remove!
[i] s3.amazonaws.com does not exist in wildcard blacklist, no need to remove!
[i] Adding hosts-file.net to whitelist...
[i] hosts-file.net does not exist in blacklist, no need to remove!
[i] hosts-file.net does not exist in wildcard blacklist, no need to remove!

[i] Using cached Event Horizon list...
[i] 106,009 unique domains trapped in the Event Horizon
[✓] Whitelisting 7 domains
[i] Blacklisted 1 domain
[✓] Parsing domains into hosts format
[✓] Cleaning up stray matter

[✓] Force-reloading DNS service
[✓] DNS service is running
[✓] Pi-hole blocking is Enabled

Now my whitelist has SEVEN entries including the one I added

The blacklist only contains the one URL that I added.

Why might this not have worked correctly first time? Should I try a reimage again?

Geffers

Not sure why this command wouldn't have worked, but this is probably what was causing the problem:

You shouldn't have to re-image, but if it comes up again then we'll help investigate.

Thanks for assistance, I am puzzled why twice when trying to install Pi-Hole via ssh I ended up with a broken pipe. Pi is ethernet cable to network so connection should have been fine plus web interface of Pi-Hole seems a bit slow to respond.

Otherwise seems to be working OK.

Geffers

Didn't feel the web interface was running well so, bearing in mind the previous mentioned problems I re-imaged Raspian Stretch and reinstalled Pi-Hole.

Installation went fine but again the whitelist was empty. Had to issue pihole -w raw.githubusercontent.com mirror1.malwaredomains.com sysctl.org zeustracker.abuse.ch s3.amazonaws.com hosts-file.net to get the list back.

Also, if from the web interface under settings I flush logs it seems to have no effect on the Dashboard. Tried it a couple of times but Dashboard does not clear. If however I do pihole -f then the Dashboard clears.

Geffers

The flushing issue will be fixed in the next release. Check here for more info on the whitelist issue:

I am seeing the same issue and have tried the commands posted above.
The white/black list still show nothing in the WebUI even when refreshed.

The test addresses are populated whitelist.txt/blacklist.txt in the exported pi-hole-teleporter_[date].tar.gz

I have installed Pi-Hole on CentOS7 and seeing the same issue with the following versions:
Pi-hole version is v4.2.1 (Latest: v4.2.1)
AdminLTE version is v4.2 (Latest: v4.2)
FTL version is v4.2.1 (Latest: v4.2.1)

Did this fix make it into 4.2.1? Or will it be in a later version?

Your debug token is: 9rtq1ly356

Thanks for bringing this topic out. Even I'm really curious for a couple of ways to know about this. I would love it if someone can help answer this query.

Cheers!

I noticed the white/black lists were populated on my phone's browser (Android - Chrome : 72.0.3626.105)

On my desktop PC, when I opened the UI in FireFox (65.0 (64-bit)) both the white list and black list were populated

On a secondary computer ALSO, using Chrome 72.0.3626.105, the lists are populated.

Even though I've disabled all extensions and the white/black list are still blank within my chrome, at this point, I know its specifically an issue with my chrome installation or extensions, etc.

Lesson learned - on UI issues, check other browsers FIRST before opening an issue here
But maybe this will help others do the same and narrow down the focus of the issue and where the issue MAY lie...

I hate to say this - I cleared my Chrome cache and restarted the browser and that resolved the issue for me. I re-enabled my Chrome extensions and it still works....

Its something I should have thought about and the first thing I should have done since its a web based UI.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.