Using Pi-hole to push a static route to clients

I'm using Pi-hole 5.1.2 and FTL 5.2 on a Raspberry Pi. It's setup by a DNS and DHCP server. All seems to be working fine (aside from issue mentioned here) and I can use my network normally.

In a similar vein to the post below, I'm trying to push a static route to clients.

In this post, it seems the change actually takes effect after they run this command.

sudo dhclient -r wlan0; sudo dhclient wlan0

However mine just hangs. Using the verbose option I can see it repeats this over and over.

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6

And when I run ip r I can never get the line I'm looking for. In the post above that line is the following (my IPs are slightly different of course)

206.189.252.0/24 via 10.0.0.99 dev wlan0

Any ideas?

I'm happy to provide more information, I just didn't want to go too lengthy in this post. Thanks!

Commands from that link are executed on different hosts pi@noads & the Debian client deHakkelaar@laptop.
You need to renew the DHCP lease on the client for the new route to propagate.
And of course check routes on the client and not check routes on Pi-hole.

Of course! It was right in front of me and I didn't see it, and it turns out it was actually working all along. Thanks :slight_smile:

The only slight niggle I see is that while it seems to work on my Ubuntu and Windows machine, running ip r (using Termux) on Android doesn't show the route.

In my use case it's actually not a big problem so I'm not too fussed, but do you know why it might not appear in Android?

1 Like

I dont know for sure.
It feels like Termux uses an entirely different environment.
Even if you do a nslookup in Termux, it always persists on using 8.8.8.8 for DNS instead of the Android configured DNS servers.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.