Updated pihole, rebooted, pihole not providing dns service, no web UI

Expected Behaviour:

Web Ui accessible, pihole filtering DNS

Actual Behaviour:

Pihole blocking web access, no web interface.

After the update to v6, pihole runs but doesn't function. I have another pi with older pihole that I've fallen back on for now.

Running on RPi0 2W, PiOS fully updated before pihole update. Version shows

Core
Version is v6.0.3 (Latest: v6.0.3)
Branch is master
Hash is 0e6d9e74 (Latest: N/A)
Web
Version is N/A (Latest: null)
Branch is N/A
Hash is N/A (Latest: N/A)
FTL
Version is v6.0.1 (Latest: v6.0.1)
Branch is master
Hash is 62904aef (Latest: 62904aef)

In the past, updates were routine and non-breaking.

I'm using lighttpd for pihole and apache2 for all other web server work. It's on a purely local LAN.
In the past, I accessed the UI via http://192.168.0.100:8888/admin/index.php

Is it practical to copy the pihole installation on the fallback pi? If so what do I need to copy?

Is there any way back, or can you advise what I should do?

Thanks

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/02vrRz6R/

As noted in our release post (Introducing Pi-hole v6 – Pi-hole):

For existing users, we recommend backing up your current configuration before proceeding, as the upgrade is strictly a one-way operation.

The debug log you provided shows a V5 installation, not a V6 installation:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Core version
[✓] Version: v5.18.4
[i] Remotes: origin	https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole.git (fetch)
             origin	https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole.git (push)
[i] Branch: master
[i] Commit: v5.18.4-0-g2cf046d

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Web version
[✓] Version: v5.21
[i] Remotes: origin	https://github.com/pi-hole/web.git (fetch)
             origin	https://github.com/pi-hole/web.git (push)
[i] Branch: master
[i] Commit: v5.21-0-gbe05b0f

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: FTL version
[✓] Version: v5.25.2
[i] Branch: master
[i] Commit: 8943e260

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: lighttpd version
[i] 1.4.69

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: php version
[i] 8.2.7

Please provide a debug log for the V6 install that is causing you problems.

Usually those are incremental updates, so rarely you have issue, but this time it was a major upgrade from v5 - v6. Introducing Pi-hole v6 - Announcements - Pi-hole Userspace

DNS Issues After Updating to V6 - Help - Pi-hole Userspace

Ah, OK that's my fall back pihole on 192.168.0.99 - sorry. Should have been
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/xnU5Yo73/

I see. Thanks.

I saw the mention of v6 on howtogeek.com and just did what I always do.

In that case edit /etc/pihole/pihole.toml and look at the ports = 80, 443os line and change it to 8888 or 8888s and then systemctl restart pihole-FTL :slight_smile:

o = optional
s = https
by the way!

Please don't and just use pihole -up :slight_smile:

This can be fixed so please try the above :wink:

This is wrong.

The correct meaning is:

  • o means optional. If not available it won't cause issues.
  • s means secure. It should be used for secure ports, using https (any port without s will use http).
  • os means you are setting both flags, optional and secure.

Yeah, sorry, should have known better after reading the documentation of Civetweb a while back... :blush:

Edited now... Thnx! :wink:

Note:

Every v6 option is very well documented in /etc/pihole/pihole.toml and in the Settings > All settings page:

Thank you for that by the way! :slight_smile:

Like I said earlier : It's the most beautiful config file I have ever seen !!! :+1: :+1:

Thanks for this.

pihole_debug.log showed config error is REFUSED (EDE: not ready) which led me to look at upstream DNS and found that the pihole.toml file had upstreams = [ ]
so I changed it to upstreams = [ "8.8.8.8", "1.1.1.1" ]
and now have web access. Would this not be carried over from the vsn5 configuration?

Next, as suggested, I changed to ports line to
port = "8888o,443os,[::]:8888o,[::]:443os" ### CHANGED, default = "80o,443os,[::]:80o,[::]:443os"
Have I got that right? I still have no access to the pihole web UI on http://192.168.0.100:8888/admin/index.php
which gives a 404
and https://192.168.0.100:8888/admin/index.php
says This site can’t provide a secure connection which is fair enough

/var/log/pihole/webserver.log reported
cannot bind to 8888o: 98 (Address in use)
cannot bind to IPv6 [::]:8888o: 98 (Address in use)

so in lighttpd.conf have changed
server.port = 8888
to
server.port = 8889
and restarted lighttpd

I now have access to the Web UI! :sweat_smile:

Do you think it's worth persuading howtogeek to add some warning better than this?
"Your settings will be automatically updated to the new format if you’re migrating from v5."

Thanks.