Unable to get the Pihole to block ads

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

I have read through several posts on this topic already, but I'm not able to see anything that points me in the right direction. I have an IP reservation for my pi (this seems like a common issue).

Expected Behaviour:

Ads blocked.

Actual Behaviour:

Very few ads blocked. I don't notice anything being blocked, but the web interface says that there are some ads being blocked.

Debug Token:

nykako3cg7

Your debug log shows no problems with Pi-Hole that keeps it from blocking ads. In particular, this section of your debug log shows that it is working properly resolving DNS queries.

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv4) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✓] adwarehitman.com is 0.0.0.0 via localhost (127.0.0.1)
[✓] adwarehitman.com is 0.0.0.0 via Pi-hole (192.168.0.13)
[✓] doubleclick.com is 172.217.4.206 via a remote, public DNS server (8.8.8.8)

This problem is likely due to another DNS path to a third party DNS either on your router or client(s). With two DNS entries, the DNS traffic will go to both; some will go to Pi-Hole and some will bypass the Pi-Hole.

A quick way to check this is to use a client (desktop or laptop is usually a good choice), and assign that client with a manual DNS of Pi-Hole IP and nothing else. Clear the DNS cache on that client and then tail the pihole.log (Web Admin GUI > Tools > Tail pihole.log) and see if the traffic from that client is getting to the Pi-Hole.

Thank you very much for the information. I did not read the FAQs; my bad! Have a good one.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.