Unable to block traffic outside network

If this is in the wrong area please feel free to move it to the proper area as I do see there is a community help section as well.

Expected Behaviour:
I am running Pi-hole v5.4 Web Interface v5.6 FTL v5.9 on a RPI 3 B+ and have all my zerotier setup and can see all devices as active and connected as well as Listen on all interfaces, permit all origins selected. I had all this working and able to block even when not connected to my home network. I had something go wrong with my network so I reinstalled everything and tried it over but cannot get it to work when away from my home network. I very well could have set this up wrong as I am not very knowledgeable about network stuff. Hopefully someone can glean information from my debug log. And yes I have scoured the net and read almost all post pertaining to setting up pihole and zerotier from about 2019 to present and am still confused. I know zerotier is working properly as I can SSH into the pihole and connect to the dashboard away from my network as well as connect to my instances of octoprint while away from my home network. I apologize if this is something very simple please do not be rude as my knowledge base is not in networks. I followed this guide here just like last time.

Actual Behaviour:

Not Blocking ads when not connected to the home network.

Debug Token:https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/d72qkRHJ/

It is not clear from your post what the problem is. Can you explain the problem in more detail? What do you believe that should be happening is not happening?

@jfb

I am currently away from my home network on both my laptop and my cellphone each are online and connected to my zerotier VPN as is my pihole. I am currently not getting any ad blocking or even showing these devices as connected to pihole for ad blocking while being one hop away from my home network. I am just trying to get all my VPN and pihole to work while not connected to my LAN. As you can see I have all my devices I want connected to my zerotier account pihole, Note 10 + and the surface pro 4. I am able to SSH into my pihole RPI while I am away and not connected to my LAN which makes me think that I have setup something improperly on the pihole side since i can see all devices i want online in zerotier but cannot see them connect to pihole like i can when they are on my LAN.

It seems you have enabled both eth0 and wlan0 interfaces on your RPi.
While your RPI correctly assigned a distinct IPv4 address to each, that may still lead to routing issues - especially since you have enabled DHCP, and clients connecting through wlan0 would (of course) receive the respective different DNS server IP address:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Discovering active DHCP servers (takes 10 seconds)
   Scanning all your interfaces for DHCP servers

* Received 300 bytes from eth0:192.168.1.19
     Offered IP address: 192.168.1.226
     Server IP address: 192.168.1.19
     DHCP options:
      Message type: DHCPOFFER (2)
      server-identifier: 192.168.1.19
      dns-server: 192.168.1.19
      router: 192.168.1.1
      --- end of options ---

* Received 300 bytes from wlan0:192.168.1.245
     Offered IP address: 192.168.1.204
     Server IP address: 192.168.1.245
      Message type: DHCPOFFER (2)
      server-identifier: 192.168.1.245
      dns-server: 192.168.1.245
      router: 192.168.1.1
      --- end of options ---

This may not be releated to your issue, but you could try disabling wifi on your RPi 3 B+ altogether, unless you were dependent on wifi for some reason.

@Bucking_Horn

I have disabled the wifi using sudo rfkill block wifi but I still cannot get my devices that are one hop away from my LAN to show connected to the pihole and block ads.

This is all so confusing as I had this working so well until I had a power outage and was away from my home for a cpl months. Is there anything I can do that would help diagnose the problem? I really appreciate your help. the two devices I am trying to get to connect are my BLANK.lan and Gray-Surface.lan which are both online in zerotier and connected to my VPN but are not for some odd reason not connecting through the pihole side of things.

Did you add your pi-hole ZeroTier IP under the DNS on the ZeroTier Central?

I do not think I have done that step, do you mean adding this IP from here.

And placing it here.

Yes

I have just done that this morning let me reboot the system and see if it has helped.

@Tntdruid

I have added the above mentioned IP's to the place in the photo but still have not gotten connectivity. to the aforementioned devices I did notice something odd maybe its just my lack of knowledge with networks (I am not at all knowledgeable when it comes to anything network related) there is a section on zerotier about managed routes and mine looks like this. I deleted the route but then I could not connect to anything that was on my zerotier account even if it was showing as online. https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/GvBdwkXV/

@adalta

You can try Route Via ZeroTier in the client app. I had to do that on my phone.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.