Suddenly: updatecheck.sh: /usr/bin/pihole-FTL: Operation not permitted

Not sure if this is a pihole or crontab problem. (Or anything else, newbie, sorry for that). I didn't change anything the last days, when suddenly my mailbox was flooded by the following cron error report.

Since last night I get get this mail every 10 minutes from Cron:

/opt/pihole/updatecheck.sh: line 77: /usr/bin/pihole-FTL: Operation not permitted
/opt/pihole/updatecheck.sh: line 91: /usr/bin/pihole-FTL: Operation not permitted

My Crontab:

# 0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * root PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/" pihole updatechecker local

The pihole works as far as I can tell, so I just tried to comment out the crontab line. Strangely, it is still done every 10 minutes even with # at the beginning of the line. No other service calls updatecheck.sh script. Unfortunately, I don't have the experience to make sense of the available information. Why is the script not running properly and why is the cron still running?

/opt/pihole/updatecheck.sh line 77 to 94

FTL_BRANCH="$(pihole-FTL branch)" ### line 77
    echo -n " ${FTL_BRANCH}" >> "${LOCAL_BRANCH_FILE}"

LOCAL_VERSION_FILE="/etc/pihole/localversions"

CORE_VERSION="$(get_local_version /etc/.pihole)"
    echo -n "${CORE_VERSION}" > "${LOCAL_VERSION_FILE}"
    chmod 644 "${LOCAL_VERSION_FILE}"

if [[ "${INSTALL_WEB_INTERFACE}" == true ]]; then
        WEB_VERSION="$(get_local_version /var/www/html/admin)"
        echo -n " ${WEB_VERSION}" >> "${LOCAL_VERSION_FILE}"
    fi

FTL_VERSION="$(pihole-FTL version)" ### line 91
    echo -n " ${FTL_VERSION}" >> "${LOCAL_VERSION_FILE}"

fi

System

Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB with Raspberry Pi OS 64-Bit

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/pmpfjxertn

Pi-hole already installs a cron task for local update checks. What was the reason you added a new one? See cron below from a debug log.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1705 Jul 17 08:46 /etc/cron.d/pihole
   38 4   * * 7   root    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/" pihole updateGravity >/var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log || cat /var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log
   00 00   * * *   root    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/" pihole flush once quiet
   @reboot root /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/pihole/logrotate
   */10 *  * * *   root    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/" pihole updatechecker local
   45 18  * * *   root    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/" pihole updatechecker remote
   @reboot root    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/" pihole updatechecker remote reboot

I didn't add a new one. This is the task from the installation. And my /etc/cron.d/pihole looks identical to yours. Except the #, because of trying to silence it.
Just found another strange thing: In the browser I have the info FTL - Update available! But sudo pihole -up says, everything is up to date.

Our installer did not install that as shown:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/rk6lfeg796

Hm. Maybe it was rewritten by Webmin? I'll change it.

Even though that cron has been modified from the original it should still execute. If if does not after you restore the original, please reply and we'll continue troubleshooting.

And to restore your Pi-hole install to known configuration please run pihole -r and select repair.

pihole -r finally solved the problem. Thank you very much!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.