Struggling with custom list

Maybe I'm stupid or I misunderstand the custom list.

I looked to my query lo and saw many Windows/Microsoft querys which are not blocked with my lists. So I blocked them manually ocer the "Block" button.

Now I would like to have them in a list. I copy pasted them, uploaded it to my Gdrive, copied url and updated Gravity. But the it ignores the entries.... why? Why 134 entries? there are only 20 on the list.

dl.acronis.com
msedge.b.tlu.dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com
geo.prod.do.dsp.mp.microsoft.com
array612.prod.do.dsp.mp.microsoft.com
ecs.office.com
fa000000125.resources.office.net
v10.events.data.microsoft.com
client.wns.windows.com
kv601.prod.do.dsp.mp.microsoft.com
identity.nel.measure.office.net
slscr.update.microsoft.com
disc601.prod.do.dsp.mp.microsoft.com
cxcs.microsoft.net
fd.api.iris.microsoft.com
msftconnecttest.com
settings-win.data.microsoft.com
a-ring.msedge.net
maps.windows.com
teams.live.com
geover.prod.do.dsp.mp.microsoft.com

Where is the diff. between my list and this list?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RPiList/specials/master/Blocklisten/Win10Telemetry

The list you've linked (RPiList) is in a valid format.

Yours obviously isn't, as it reportedly contains only stuff like "<" "try{" "/*" "authors" "apache-2.0".

You'd have to make sure that the file is accessible and has valid contents.

Perhaps the https://docs.google.com/... URL that you've obfuscated is not pointing to a publically accessible resource (e.g. because access requires a login)?

Also, you could host private lists on the Pi-hole machine itself, e.g. a file stored at /media/lists/personal-blocklist.txt could be added to your Pi-hole via
file:///media/lists/personal-blocklist.txt

1 Like

The file is on my gdrive (everyone who have the link can access the file)

This works.

But I would like to have the file accessible without ssh-ing the pihole everytime when I have to make some changes.

As mentioned, the file must be accessible and in the correct format.

Accessing that URL produces an error for me.

error

Even if your Pi-hole succeeds in accessing it, I guess what that URL returns is an HTML webpage rather than a plain text file. :wink:

A HTML page is meant to be rendered by your browser so you can read it.
It is received like this:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>(...)
(function(_){var window=this;
try{
/*
 Copyright The Closure Library Authors.
 SPDX-License-Identifier: Apache-2.0
*/

But it does not match any of Pi-hole's supported formats.
(EDIT: Above was copied from the source code of the error page your link has produced for me, but you still can find a few of the invalid non-domains that Pi-hole has encountered when trying to import your list from that URL.)

You have to host that as a plain text file, just like the RPiList you've linked.

Strange. My colleague in the office can access it :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Anyway xD

Then I will make a Github account and host the files(s) there. It's, maybe, also the better solution.

Thank for your help :smirk: :upside_down_face:

Google Drive/Docs does not allow for direct hosting of files, as such. They are always wrapped in the web application and are actually HTML. You might be able to copy the link for which your file could be directly downloaded and use that. Try using 'curl' from your pi to see if the URL produces plain text output of your list vs anything else.

1 Like

Strange. My colleague in the office can access it :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Anyway xD

Your colleague is accessing the link using a browser.

The browser will receive the page (it's a HTML page, as explained by Bucking-Horn) from Google and will render the content in a way humans can read it. This page contains buttons, icons, links, javascript code, text, ... Your list is just a small part of the full HTML code.

Pi-hole receives the same HTML file, but it's not capable of reading the file.

Solution using Google:

You need to force Google to send the file as plain text.
To do this, you need to add export?format=txt to your URL.

The final link will look like this:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QTyZpwZwsxvmakPBiGXu5pHFe69hREW78j5JMQlkris/export?format=txt

2 Likes