Store database version of pihole-FTL in info table

New table in pihole-FTL.db, similar to gravity.db info table with database version field.

A lot of users are writing custom SQL scripts, to extract and display (or update) data from the database in a format, not provided in the web interface.

Given the new field in pihole-FTL.db, table queries, field additional_info, which can be used to store any kind of information, it would be useful to check the database version, before displaying or updating database entries.

I second this FR. But you would also need a documentation/table describing which modification was made in which version.

At the moment I wrap my script in

if sqlite3 ${PIHOLE_FTL} "PRAGMA table_info(queries);" |grep -q additional_info ;then

Nice, didn't know you can use github in that way. Thanks

I think jpgpi250 is asking for the equivalent in pihole-FTL.db

I'm not sure there's any value in versioning pihole-FTL.db, it's rather transient in nature and not really storing anything that would be version dependent.

I agree with you that versioning for pihole itself might not be of any value, because the script will (should) be always in concordance with the ability the database provides.
But I see the benefit for users attaching own scripts/code to the database. They would benefit from an easy version string which would let them know the capabilities of the current database they interact with.

Which database.

pihole-FTL.db

And what would you expect to be stored as the version in the database of queries?

As far as I know, the structure of pihole-FTL.db hasn't changed since it was first introduced.

In pihole v.5.1.2, a new field (additional_info) has been introduced, so I assume the version number would be 2.

This would be identical to the versioning of the gravity database, the developers need to change the static version number, when a change is made, see here.

Thanks for making me think twice... it's already there :see_no_evil:

It's in table ftl id=0

Bildschirmfoto zu 2020-08-12 08-47-50

I was just going to say exactly this. Looking into the file @yubiuser linked, there is an entire chain of updates to ensure you can update any version of Pi-hole to a newer one (not only 5.1 -> 5.2 but also 4.0 -> 5.2, etc.).

Actually a lot changed (like allowing multiple host names per client by moving them from per-MAC address to per-IP address basis, etc.)

--

The current version with v5.2 is 7

The version after having merged new/super-clients will be 9: