Something broke, help me fix it

@Radu_Stefan_Ciubotar you're not alone. Although Pi-hole does not want to publicly recognize they got something messed up and buggy in their last version 5, the evidence is it is buggy and failing many users. Had same issue with you, and I tried to reach out community for support, but went ignored and silenced. only left with few posts and comments others experienced... and one can easily conclude there is a major bug/glitch in v.5.

Just like you, and many others, with no change at all, everything went from working to not working. many people experiencing it, after upgrading to v5 can't be random chance. just pi-hole getting buggy. So for me, I just deactivated everything, and will have to keep using my parental control as usual, that work right a least, until pi-hole finally come up with some more stable fix. because everyone can not experience same issue on same v5....

Nevertheless big Kudo to pi-hole team who do go an extra mile to help the community of users. But for now, thins just ain't working even when every recommended steps are followed... not for the most I have read of.

Not from what I have seen, and I provide a lot of support on this forum and on Reddit. Many of the problems are with group management, unsupported OS, etc. There is an open issue on Github with crashes while running Cloudflare (still being investigated).

Are there specific problems you have seen that indicate this release is buggy?

Well, I can tell from what I read, Pi-hole works fine... then stops working...
Now, in my case and others I read from, it was said because of unsupported OS etc.. etc... so I went ahead a purchased the specific recommended OS.. box. I got a Raspberry pi 4...
I have taken time to read Thrice the recommendation, steps, etc... and I have even shut off and disabled my parental control from OpenDNs... so Things start working... 2 days after, with absolutely NO change... everything stopped! The funniest part, is that Pi-hole debug was said by a gentleman having no issue... in another word, nothing works with no change, from something that worked, but can't find the issue.. that was it.
I tried reaching out, but not have much favor with responses from others, I read through those who have encountered same issues. Many of whom used the recommended set up by pi-hole and things went from working, to suddenly not working. Digging a little bit brought me to no fault on user part, because did not get out from recommendation of pi-hole... still things won't work.

While some people experience a working experience, many others do encounter these sudden stop to work thing. Reason why I specified it can only bring one to conclude it is buggy...

In our beta testing phase, all issues that surfaced and were reported, were addressed.
I personally run 3 separate nodes all on 5.0, one of them being my DHCP server (only because my router has limited DHCP server capabilities and I am using the stock firmware only because of warranty).

If this indeed is something that is related to 5.0, it needs to be investigated, as this particular scenario, network setup and settings were not tested by any of us. This seems like a pretty elaborate network setup, not your typical "at home, how do I install raspbian" type of use.

Obviously, bashing at the free software you get with the free support that comes with it, will not help your situation.

We are looking into the issues as we have time (since we're all doing this on our spare time).

Now, coming back to the topic, this issue, from a logical network topology and functionality, points to a handling problem related to the way the DNS query is routed within the network, as Pi-hole basically "listens" on queries on port 53.

It's as simple as that. Store is open. And the camera security system (reporting) sees who comes in the door and records just that ...

At network level, each query comes identified as the source of the request. The IP.

If all requests are coming in from 1 IP it means that all the requests are router THROUGH that 1 IP.

Definitely this issue needs to be tacked by elimination.

We know Pi-hole works as the debug log shows that.

Next step is to look further down, and that's exactly what we're doing here.

Let's just focus on what's happening here, fix it and maybe vent in a different topic.

If you are having a current problem, please post a new debug token. I'll help you troubleshoot.

ha! I understand why now. well at least we can agree to disagree on that one. Because we certainly don't view it the same way, and I understand why I went unanswered. but it's okay. it's free source service and no one could demand whatsoever. so I understand you. it's fair to choose to answer one request and ignore another based on how one's feel about certain formulation of phrase. totally understand. and it's fair.

Sounds fair from the team. would not expect much outside that perimeter of spared time

yes maybe have a look into it. will gladly be volunteer to bringing in my set up, less usual...

We don't pick and chose what we respond to. If you feel like you're being ignored then say so. It just may be in the realm of possibility that the problem is not Pi-hole.

Handled under https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/internet-no-longer-working-when-router-connected-on-pi-hole-dns