Slow loading websites

@oo12 Would you know what the ip6tables equivalent of that rule might be?

ip6tables is the interface to the IPv6 iptables rules.

Yes, I wanted to reject port 443 on ipv6 as well but I'm not familiar with writing rules :confused:
I've started receiving ipv6 from my ISP this week. Since then I'm experiencing some loading time issues, which seem to go away when pihole's on v4 only. That's why I'm reading all these "slow sites" "slow loading" threads, which I never cared for when I was on IPv4 only, hehe.

Should be the exact same command as listed, just with ip6tables as the command.

ip6tables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 443 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

And remember to save your rules so they are applied on reboot, by default they are not saved. Saving Iptables Firewall Rules Permanently - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki

Thanks! I thought ip6tables would be different. I make rules.. on pretty GUIs (pfsense). It didn't improve the loading times though. I'll start a new thread for IPv6.

I wanted to chime in on a similar issue I had, and this was one of the top Google hit for my searches.

I had the same behavior with blocked scripts preventing the page from loading, until Chrome timed out the script. Then the page loaded quickly, but only after waiting 20+ seconds. I don't have IPv6 enabled anywhere.

My router detected a IP conflict on my network and changed the internal IP addresses from default 192.168.0.x to 10.0.0.x. Even after a Pi restart, the Pihole web interface reported the old address - but the Pihole still successfully blocked ads, just very slowly.

I ran the configuration script with pihole -r and it picked up the new IP address - and all is well again. Thanks for everyone's work on Pihole.

I also had the same issue. I am running pi.hole within an LXC container on a virtual machine in the cloud. I was forwarding port 53 for DNS lookups so I could use the external IP address of the virtual server as my local DNS server on my home machine.

I hit the timeout problem too because any blocked domains were actually resolving to the pi.hole IP address used when I configured pi.hole. Of course, my home LAN cannot "see" the LAN that pi.hole resides in, hence the long timeout.

To rectify, I reconfigured pi.hole and specified the external/globally reachable address of the virtual server with a /32 mask. This did the trick. Now my home PC addresses the pi.hole on the correct external server IP and my firewall there simply REJECT's the incoming connections immediately.

Is it possible to config the piholed answer IP? To answer with 127.0.0.1 for a piholed domain instead of pi-holes own static IP?
Example:
Pi-hole IP: 192.168.0.2
normal dns Resolution für an ad: ad.domain.com 192.168.0.2
solution for all slow loading times: ad.domain.com 127.0.0.1

Or is there any reason that forbid the IP 127.0.01 as answer for piholed Domains?

Most devices don't run servers on port 80, so redirecting to localhost might result in the same timeout. Because Pi-hole will answer immediately, it is much preferred over redirecting to localhost.

Thats not true. When I add the 100.000 blocked domains to my lokal Windows host file with 127.0.0.1 all problematic websites load instantly. Without Ads.

Heise.de
Computerbild.de
Chip.de

Any chance to config pihole to answer with 127.0.01? Just for tests.

Just because Windows will correctly handle that case doesn't mean that all devices will. You can edit /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf and change the IPv4 address to 127.0.0.1 and then run pihole -g.

Solution:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Slow Loading on iPhone

This should be pinned at the top. After hours of try&error this was the solution i searched for. Thx

Solution? I would call it workaround: referring a dns request to "zero" (without feedback) is something different than referring it to localhost of the pihole and handling it (e.g. with a blockscreen), isn't it?!