Slow Loading on iPhone

I'm having this problem for months now. When browsing the web on my iPhone most websites seem te be stuck loading content. It takes >10 seconds to load sites like macrumors.com and 9to5mac.com. Other devices like Windows-laptop and MacBook don't have any issues.

Rejecting traffic with iptables didn't solve the issue, and I'm not running IPv6. I've edited /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf to try with the true IPv4 address, with 127.0.0.1 and 0.0.0.0. Does not help at all.

Is there anything else I can try?

Can you check the DNS servers the iPhone is using? It might be trying to use the wrong DNS server.

Tested on 2 iPhones which are using Pi-hole as DNS-server. If I set them to google/opennic-DNS, pages load fast instantly.

Watch the log on pihole for requests that are blocked. Find those hosts and unblock them.

I discovered that Facebook would basically only half-load due to some hosts being blocked that are for load balancing.

That's no solution. That wil disable the function of Pihole for those ads. The problem has something to do with the timeouts of SSL-traffic from Apple IOS.

'Half-load' would be fine, because it would be fast. The problem is not incomplete webpages, it takes 20seconds to load a whole.

may have found different behaviour after the IOS11.2 update. Will test some more and report back

I'm referring to the Facebook app on iOS not getting close to usable in my case.

After a day of testing the slow loading seems resolved by the IOS11.2 update. Nothing else was changed.