Show me the clients

Hi Guys

I hope you can help and teach me it seems I'm an complete idiot.
I successfully installed Pi-hole on my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2 and set it as my only DNS-Server in my router.
Only uses the default adlist(https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts) and it works very well besides the know YouTube problems.

The only issue I have now is that I see in the Dashboard under Top Clients only my router but if I understood it correctly you could see there the list of the clients in your network (pc, phone, etc.)

It seems there are two options to get there.
Option 1: Use dnsmasq-option-6 to inform the client about the DNS Server (How do I configure my devices to use Pi-hole as their DNS server?)
Option 2: Enable Conditional forwarding

Sadly neither of them works. I probably have configured them wrong.
Are you able to help me set them up correctly?

Assuming my assumption is correct about these two options. Is there any advantage and disadvantage of one over the other methode?

I think an 3rd Option is to use the Pi-Hole also as an DHCP server but I can't set an external DHCP server in my router.

Is there may even an 4th option?

My Network is like this:
Router: 192.168.1.1
Pi-Hole: 192.168.1.250 (static)
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP range: 192.168.1.101-192.168.1.220
DNS server in Pi-Hole: Google, Quad9 & ISP
Router Model: Internet-Box 3 of Swisscom (ISP)

Debug Token: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/fVEMLJjk/

You set your router to announce itself as DNS server via DHCP

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Discovering active DHCP servers (takes 10 seconds)
   Scanning all your interfaces for DHCP servers
   Timeout: 10 seconds

WARN: Could not sendto() in send_dhcp_discover() (/root/project/src/dhcp-discover.c:233): Network is unreachable
   * Received 333 bytes from eth0:192.168.1.1
     Offered IP address: 192.168.1.250
     Server IP address: 192.168.1.1
     Relay-agent IP address: N/A
     BOOTP server: (empty)
     BOOTP file: (empty)
     DHCP options:
      Message type: DHCPOFFER (2)
      server-identifier: 192.168.1.1
      lease-time: 86400 ( 1d )
      renewal-time: 43200 ( 12h )
      rebinding-time: 75600 ( 21h )
      netmask: 255.255.255.0
      domain-name: "home"
      dns-server: 192.168.1.1
      router: 192.168.1.1

Option 3: set Pi-hole's IP as DNS server in your routers DHCP settings. After you made the change, dis- and reconnect your clients from the network to pick up the new settings.

I don't get what you mean with Option 3. If you refer to the option 3 from my inition post i can't. I can't change the DHCP server in my router.

Pi-hole is already entered as DNS server in my router settings.

I was not referring to change the DHCP server in your router but to change the DNS server distributed via DHCP.
I did a quick search for the manual of your router model but could not find one :-/

This is the WAN side of your router, that's why you see all requests in Pi-hole as coming from the router.
__

If you really can't change the DNS server in your router's DHCP options, you could disable your router's DHCP server completely and enable Pi-holes build in DHCP server. There is no need to enable an

just disable it completely.

Do you mean "DNS servers advertised via DHCP option 6"?

If I would disable the DHCP option in my Router completle how does then the Network know to jump into that gap?

Basically yes. But does your router run dnsmasq?

First enable Pi-hole's DHCP server, then disable the router's DHCP server. Every client that uses DHCP will send a broadcast request to the network if it needs a new lease. Available DHCP servers will reply to that request.

I tried it with this option:
grafik

I see in the Network option on my device that there is now the IP of my pi-hole after the restart (I realy forgot that my first time). Now I also see my device unter the Client section in the web interface. But sadly the ad-block does not work anymore. Somehow, somewhere still the ads get fetched. Do you have an idea from where? DNS-flush already done.

Pi-hole as an DHCP server I haven't tried yet. I read somewhere you're not suposed to do that if other option would work. Can you may explain me why you shouldn't use Pi-hole as a DHCP server?

I see no reason not to use it. But if DHCP option 6 is working for you you can stick with that.

This sounds good.

Where exactly do you see ads? Please generate a new debug token.

And run from one of the clients where you see ads:

nslookup pi.hole

nslookup flurry.com

New debug token: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/CaQkBlnp/

I see the ads for example on https://www.speedtest.net/ or https://9gag.com/
Previously there weren't any when I configurated the pi-hole as DNS server in my router.

nslookup pi.hole
Server:  internetbox.home
Address:  2a02:120b:2c14:5de0:a2b5:49ff:fe3f:f1a0

*** pi.hole wurde von internetbox.home nicht gefunden: Non-existent domain.
nslookup flurry.com
Server:  internetbox.home
Address:  2a02:120b:2c14:5de0:a2b5:49ff:fe3f:f1a0

Nicht autorisierende Antwort:
Name:    flurry.com
Addresses:  212.82.100.150

Can you may explane me how this "Conditional forwarding" is working and if that would be an option to resolve my issue?

This client is not using Pi-hole for DNS. It is using an IPv6 DNS that is not Pi-hole.

You're right.
As soon I enable IPv6 on my router he also enables IPv6 DNS which I can't disable, change or overwrite.
If I disable it, it works fine.

What is your opinion.

1. Working with disabled IPv6
  2. Useing Pi-hole as DHCP server
  3. Conditional forwarding(?) - Still, can you tell me how this works?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.