Server with more than 1000 clients

Good morning guys, is there any additional configuration for the server to be used in a scenario of more than 1000 customers ??

That won't be the problem! I have 3 days of testing, and analyzing the performance of the dns server in relation to the other server that I am testing. So, I asked if there is anything you need to do to optimize or execute its performance for a larger audience, or if there is something that can allow or not perform in this scenario. Thanks!

As long as the Pi-hole host platform has adequate power and system resources, you should be fine. A Pi Zero may struggle with this, a Pi-4B or sturdy VM will have no problems.

So, something is wrong, look at my configuration and the consumption of resources.

What am I missing? What is wrong?

Consumption of 8 GB of ram without variation!

That may be a function of your VM allocating that entire amount.

I run a VM whit over 6k+ clients, pi-hole just works :+1:

2 Likes

@Tntdruid which machine configuration? Does she consume so much of ram?

Nothing crazy run 2x pi-holes whit Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz And 16 GB ram, you dont need crazy hardware for DNS.

@Tntdruid, I know that, but I don't understand all this consumption of the virtual machine.

sudo top or sudo htop or free -h or any other kind of tool to analyze the used memory inside the VM would be great information to have.

@DanSchaper

That's fine. Your panel showing RAM usage is not accurate.

dns2

Yep, 8G allocated to the VM. 6G currently free for use.

@DanSchaper, In fact, the strange thing is that on the vmware server it shows 8Gb in full use.

@DanSchaper, I was more concerned because I am experiencing slowness in opening the pi-hole web admin.

Trust but verify.

(And you don't have to @ me on every post, I read everything.)

That's the PHP causing it. Things are improved in version 5 but very large numbers of queries still take time to render. We are trying to paginate responses so everything isn't loaded in.