Router configuration to monitor each device on network

Hi

I have recently set up pi hole and it's been fantastic! I have a raspberry pi zero and it's doing a great job and was easy to install.

I've been looking at the dashboard and noticed that all of my traffic is coming from the router 192.168.1.1 which doesn't seem right. I've been looking through this website to find a solution but realize that you can't write instructions for every router there is so thought I would ask.

I'd like to make it so that I can see which devices are generating which ad requests and then name them by up address so it's easily referenced on the dashboard for pi hole.

I went to this page but I'm not sure what to do for my router - How do I configure my devices to use Pi-hole as their DNS server?

I should note that I sent on my router that all dns request go to the pi hole which is a static ip.

Thanks

You're correct, as there are probably several thousand router models and firmware versions out there, advice can only be somewhat generic. Especially if router make and model is unknown.

You'd improve your chances for help from users with the same router if you'd include that in your description. :wink:

In the meantime, it may help to understand the difference between upstream DNS servers (commonly, a WAN or Internet setting in your router) and local DNS servers (commonly, a LAN or DHCP setting):

Your local DNS server will be used by your local network clients for host name resolution. It will routinely be announced to a client by your DHCP server, but can be set manually on each client device. Only a local DNS server can know about the host names of devices in your local network.

Your upstream DNS server is a DNS server that is used by your local DNS server (e.g. your router or Pi-hole) for resolving public host names on the internet. Your ISP will routinely offer its own DNS servers to be used by your modem or router.

Most devices will allow manual configuration of upstream DNS servers, while fewer will allow setting one or more local DNS servers, and there are those routers that support neither.

It may well be that this generic information is already enough to get you started.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.