Rate Limited and Concurrent DNS troubleshooting

I'm setting up a Pi-hole with Unbound on a Pi3B, following popular guides and the docs, but as soon as I direct all DNS requests via my DDWRT router I get "Maximum number of concurrent DNS quries reached" and "Client at 192.168.1.1 has been rate-limited" messages.

This creates issues to the point of uploading my debug log failing. I don't know how to identify if I have a DNS loop, or how to see out potentially problematic clients/programs. Please let me know what additional info I can provide.

Expected Behaviour:

Forwarding all DNS queries to my pi-hole via my router should not cause issues to be flagged.

Actual Behaviour:

When forwarded, I get "Maximum number of concurrent DNS quries reached" and "Client at 192.168.1.1 has been rate-limited" messages.

Debug Token:

This is my debug log: Pastebin.com - Locked Paste
Please DM me for password, or if there's another effective way to upload a debug log and get a token.

Edit file /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf and change the rate limit to 0/0. This will disable rate limiting while you troubleshoot.

Then restart FTL with pihole restartdns.

Then upload a debug log and post the token URL here.

Thank you for your response. I followed your instructions, and while "Client at 192.168.1.1 has been rate-limited" is temporarily resolved, the end of the log still reads:

[✗] There was an error uploading your debug log.

• Please try again or contact the Pi-hole team for assistance.
  • A local copy of the debug log can be found at: /var/log/pihole/pihole_debug.log

This will temporarily reset the nameserver on the Pi to bypass Pi-Hole DNS.

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

Edit the nameserver line to nameserver 9.9.9.9 or your preferred third party DNS service, save and exit

Run

pihole -d

and upload the debug log.

1 Like

That worked:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/HV9ORVBx/

Edit: This is wrong, I had my router configured to get things working, let me generate a new token.

Correct token: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/7786JTXl/

Take a look at this thread - some discussion on why all your DNS queries appear to originate from your router. You may be able to change this behavior.

Your debug log shows no evidence of a DNS loop.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. Reading those and doing some more searches pointed me to Pi-hole and ddwrt settings - #6 by graysky2

The setting there listed for DDWRT router firmware seems to fix a few of my issues, but if I have it configured that way and I unplug my pihole entirely, machines on my network are still getting dns from somewhere.

If I use option 2 from the link you posted (How do I configure my devices to use Pi-hole as their DNS server?), it makes sense until I get to this part: https://b2discourse.pi-hole.net/original/2X/4/46c95b23878e3324e09a1a81675806f304f409e5.png
Which seems to be in conflict with setting that to "127.0.0.1#5335".

Further testing looks like wireless devices are all working properly, but my wired devices are not.

This is embarrassing, I just needed to restart my client.

To be clear, the thing that resolved my issue was dhcp-option=6,192.168.my.ip from this post Pi-hole and ddwrt settings - #6 by graysky2

1 Like

Glad you got it resolved.

Me too, thank you for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.