Query log status 'unknown' but query works and pihole responds

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Should not be seeing status 'unknown' when pihole is responding with IP and my lookup is working

Actual Behaviour:

query status is showing 'unknown' even though lookup is working. I believe it may have to do with an IPv6 lookup that is happening. I have turned off IPV6 on the pihole but it it still happening and there is a response of NODATA-IPV6 for the AAAA IPV6 lookup. I have screenshots of my query log too.

Debug Token:

dkp99360ub

It's the issue with the pihole-FTL, Query Log "Unknown" entry · Issue #102 · pi-hole/FTL · GitHub

Actually, it's just that FTL is revealing an issue elsewhere. They are not getting an IPv6 response, so maybe they are trying to use IPv6 upstream servers when they don't have IPv6 internet access? @tording

I have not configured anything for IPV6 so if they are doing something with IPV6 then they are doing it on their own. I also was not seeing this initially a couple days ago when I configured this but it started happening yesterday evening. The issue that was posted on github with the FTL does anybody know where the file is that I change the timeout to 400 ms is?
Also if the issue is IPV6 related then why is the entry in the query log with the unknown status labeled with a type of IPV4?

Oh, I think I see it now. You have a /etc/pihole/lan.list file, and FTL has no idea what it means if the query is resolved via that list.

Yes this is true I have added a new list file for my local lan stuff but sometimes the lookup is correct and in the query log it shows green and not unknown. If it was because of this new list wouldn't my queries for my local stuff always show up "unknown"?

Yes, it should actually be like this with an unknown list. In your screenshot, it also looks exactly like this.

The reason is very simple: You added a list and FTL has no idea whether it is a positive or negative (as in additional blacklist) list. We could potentially change that by e.g. having FTL assume that any list that does not start something like black would be considered green, but I already see complains coming up why their custom blacklists are marked green :smiley:

1 Like

No not all queries come up unknown for my local stuff, it just happened to be that way in that screenshot. Here is one where all the queries for my local lan worked. Anything with ordingnet in it is my local lan as that is my local domain.