Pihole -v says the system is up to date but the web interface indicates updates needed

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

*If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using

I am running apache web server on this box to support ups units and other software.
This pihole seems to be working fine, just the version on the web page seems wrong.
Forgot to add system has been fully rebooted and I have tested in a browser that has never had the page cached.

Expected Behaviour:

I am running pihole on a Pi 4 and have been for ever, this is a general purpose box that runs many things.
OS - Buster / Raspbian GNU/Linux 10
Kernel - 5.10.103./v7l+

I expected the web interface to reflect the updated state.

Actual Behaviour:

pi@genpi:~ $ pihole -v
Pi-hole version is v5.13 (Latest: v5.13)
AdminLTE version is v5.16 (Latest: v5.16)
FTL version is v5.18.2 (Latest: v5.18.2)

Web interface:

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/zTFDjpiD

The web interface should see the same info as pihole -v.

Can you please try to clean your browser cache and try again?

Seeing the same. See also

Here's some progress:

And the root cause is likely this change:

This PR removed the in 10 minutes check for updates

But we still call the relevant function after any update

Please run pihole updatechecker and see if this fixes it

1 Like

The PADD stuff is unrelated to the wrong update notification in the web interface.

I can confirm running pihole updatechecker fixed the webinterface (and other places like Home Assistant).

grafik

1. Do we need to run that after every update by our own or...?
  2. Would you mind taking care of Latest v5.15.1 and further 2022-10-10 updates not refreshed in webinterface (version information not in sync) · Issue #2396 · pi-hole/AdminLTE · GitHub ?

Strange I hit two issues, current open one is the PADD part.

1 Like

Not if we find the root of this bug...

I re-ran pihole -up a moment ago, no new versions found. I also cleared cache in my browser and tried a browser that I had not logged into pihole with and both still show the need to update.

See:

1 Like

I did not realize pihole updatechecker was a thing... ran it and it is now reporting properly.

Well it was in one of the last posts before yours, so... reading would have been an option :wink:
Anyway, glad to see this workaround fixed it for you too.

Thanks, I did read all of the posts... I did not realize that was a command, not listed in the pihole -?. I thought it was an implication to run pihole -up!

1 Like

Can you show your apache configuration for the web interface?

I've had possibly the same problem, the other way around, with the previous two releases. The new release would be announced but no matter what I did in the interface I couldn't make Pi-hole see it. The footer remained unchanged, Clearing cache and cookies and logging back in made no difference, implying some Pi-hole checking logic instead.

Doing pihole -up saw the new versions and updated as expected. Prior to those releases, if I saw a new announcement and simply reloaded the web page or even just clicked a sidebar link I would instantly be seeing the red Update available! text in the footer.

Not sure if related but about since the same time pihole -d always shows Core and Web as the latest version but always in yellow (with a green master branch below) with a URL next to it for how-do-i-udpate-hole, as if it thinks they're not up to date. FTL always shows in green with a green master.

Standard Pi-hole install, no Apache.

We only update the remote version info once every 24 hours (and after a handful of command) to avoid steady connection to GitHub. See That Time We DDoSed GitHub – Pi-hole.

I'll take a look.

1 Like

There is room for improvement/bug.

I could, but it is pretty ugly. I use Apache for pi-hole, nutstatus, smokeping, webmin and if memory serves... a couple of other things. I found a note a few years back on how to setup Apache for pihole as I did not have enough memory on the old 3b to run both webservers, samba, smokeping, nut and other things at the same time. Now on the pi4 that really is not the case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.