Pihole -up stuck stating a Core update is available

I've been periodically issuing pihole -up to see if there's any updates to these test builds. Noticed today that it shows an update for core and goes through the motion of downloading and updating but re-running pihole -up shows a core update is still available. I'm seeing (edited) this on two pi3s that I've been running pihole on for eons. :slight_smile:

Current Pi-hole version is release/v5.4 v5.3.1-63-g7bca5850
Current AdminLTE version is release/v5.6 v5.5-46-g690feb8b
Current FTL version is release/v5.9 vDev-1b4fdd4

Thanks for the feedback.

I think there was a glitch earlier today that pushed commits to that branch. That isn't supposed to be possible since the branch is protected.

There's an open PR that fixes a bug that should be pushed sometime in the next day that hopefully will bring things back in to sync.

3 Likes

I don't think this happened?

https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/commits/release/v5.4

Hi Coro,

Yeah, I didn't believe it either when I got the pop up from Mattermost that showed commits had been pushed to a protected branch.

As soon as that happened I went in and reset the head pointer to the original commit hard and removed the two additional commits from history. That required unprotecting the branch so I'm not really sure how the two stray commits were added in the first place.

Every action on our various repositories is logged and posted as messages on our Mattermost server so we can see everything that goes on.

Edit: I think the OP may have pulled the branch in the few minutes that the extra commits were on the branch. That would explain why this isn't being seen by most everyone else.

FWIW, I just updated because Core was showing an update was available. After the update, it still shows for me as well.

Hmm...

Okay, if the next bugfix commit doesn't resolve it then we can do a reset on the local /etc/.pihole repository. Sometimes the update check needs help to know what is an update and what isn't.

Just to confirm, you're on the beta branch?

Correct, I am running the beta branch:

pi@gyre:~ $ pihole -up --check-only
  [i] Checking for updates...
  [i] Pi-hole Core:	update available
  [i] Web Interface:	up to date
  [i] FTL:		up to date
  [i] Warning: You are using FTL from a custom branch (release/v5.9) and might be missing future releases.

pi@gyre:~ $ pihole -v
  Pi-hole version is release/v5.4 v5.3.1-63-g7bca5850 (Latest: v5.3.1)
  AdminLTE version is release/v5.6 v5.5-46-g690feb8b (Latest: v5.5)
  FTL version is release/v5.9 vDev-1b4fdd4 (Latest: v5.8.1)

Thanks, I'll take a look at the update check code to see why there is that discrepancy. May have to tweak the update checkers code to account for a few situations that we may not have considered in the past.

2 Likes

The bugfix was pushed to the branch. Does the update check still show updates available after updating?

I just tried and the update fails:

pi@gyre:~ $ pihole -up
  [i] Pi-hole Core:	update available
  [i] Warning: You are using FTL from a custom branch (release/v5.9) and might be missing future releases.

[i] Pi-hole core files out of date, updating local repo.
  [✓] Check for existing repository in /etc/.pihole
  [i] Update repo in /etc/.pihole...
  : Could not update local repository. Contact support.

pi@gyre:/etc/.pihole $ git status
On branch release/v5.4
Your branch and 'origin/release/v5.4' have diverged,
and have 1 and 2 different commits each, respectively.
  (use "git pull" to merge the remote branch into yours)
nothing to commit, working tree clean

Try

cd /etc/.pihole
sudo git reset --hard HEAD

The reset didn't help.

Okay, we'll have to back it up a bit and then let it update again.

cd /etc/.pihole
sudo git reset --hard HEAD~4
2 Likes

That got it going again. The only anomaly I had is:

[i] Installing latest logrotate script...
	[i] Existing logrotate file found. No changes made.
  [✗] Failure in logrotate installation function.

last of the update output and new check:

Update Complete! 

Current Pi-hole version is release/v5.4 v5.3.1-64-g7f4bb24f
  Current AdminLTE version is release/v5.6 v5.5-46-g690feb8b
  Current FTL version is release/v5.9 vDev-1b4fdd4
pi@gyre:/etc/.pihole $ pihole -up --check-only
  [i] Pi-hole Core:	up to date

[✓] Everything is up to date!

That's how the output should look for now.

It's been mentioned that the Cross is misleading. It probably could be worded better, it's related to the line above it, no logrotate file was installed since there was one existing.

1 Like

Shouldn't it has been

sudo git reset --hard origin/release/v5.4

?

It is git so there's always a half-dozen ways to do the same thing. The end goal is what we are concerned about and not the exact commands used to get there.

Applied git reset on both pi3s. Both behaving as expected again.

1 Like

Had the same issue and this solution has worked for me as well. Thanks!