Pihole ohne systemd?

Hallo Zusammen,
ich benötige eure Hilfe.

OrangePi Zero mit Devuan Ascii also ohne systemd.

Bis auf FTL und dnsmasq scheint alles zu laufen. Merkwürdig dass mein System den Service von dnsmasq nicht finden kann, im Debuglog aber Version 340 angezeigt wird.
Dnsmasq soll sowieso durch unbound bzgl DoT ersetzt werden.

Mein Debug-Token lautet:
am7wo4q59m

Vielen Dank schonmal. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply.
But why i couldn't start the Pihole FTL?
If i type:
sudo service pihole-FTL start

it shows:
Not running

chown: Zugriff auf '/etc/pihole/dhcp.leases' nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Failed to set capabilities on file `/usr/bin/pihole-FTL' (Operation not supported)
The value of the capability argument is not permitted for a file. Or the file is not a regular (non-symlink) file

dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Permission denied

You have unbound running on port 53, which is preventing pihole-FTL from binding on that port.

From your debug log:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Ports in use
*:22 sshd (IPv4)
*:22 sshd (IPv6)
[::1]:53 unbound (IPv6)
127.0.0.1:53 unbound (IPv4)
[::1]:8953 unbound (IPv6)
127.0.0.1:8953 unbound (IPv4)
*:80 lighttpd (IPv4)
*:80 lighttpd (IPv6)

The normal configuration of unbound to work with Pi-Hole is unbound on port 5353, per the setup guide:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/unbound/

In V4.0, dnsmasq is embedded in pihole-FTL, and dnsmasq no longer runs as a separate process. The debug log will show dnsmasq as either failed or inactive. Process pihole-FTL should be shown running on port 53.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/dns-resolver/

Thank you guys!

I've changed the unbound port to 5353 like in the setup guide, restartet the services... now nameresolve is dead...
Don't changed anything in the systemsettings.

Your DNS setting should also be changed to port 5353.

The problem is that nslookup also fails. So i deceided to uninstall unbound first.
Same Problem.
Unbound didn't start.
Network down and i couldn't found how i return back to dhcp, wich file does pihole changed?
Ive checked everything i could find....

my mainproblem is, i am not able to change the dns-server to e.g. my provider/router ones...
Doesn't find anything in the web...

Because of the many problems, ive decided to start with a fresh Devuan, without unbound first.

Now installation breaks at:
[✓] Starting pihole-FTL service
[✓] Enabling pihole-FTL service to start on reboot
[✓] Deleting existing list cache
[✗] DNS service is not running
[✓] Starting DNS service
[✗] DNS resolution is not available

So the installation crashes my systemdns, i'm not able to install or update any packages...

Seems that there is a problem without systemd??

Wich settings does pihole change to make ip static?

ive checked:
/etc/network/interfaces

but everything looks like dhcp... ive uninstalled pihole from my system but devuan is not able to resolve something... stupid :(:disappointed_relieved:

No more. I've installed a clean Devuan. There is no unbound anymore.
But if i now want to install pi-hole it breaks installation with "dns service not running".
The problem is that this changes also my systemresolver and then my system isn't working correctly.

Vielen Dank für dein Engagement! :slight_smile:

Also ich habe schon mal lokalisieren können dass er bei jedem Neustart die Datei /etc/resolv.conf überschreibt, mit dem Inhalt von localhost also 127.0.0.1 obwohl ich während der Installation gesagt habe werte nicht als statisch setzen. Bevor ich Pihole installiert hatte stand dort mein Gateway drin. Unbound ist nicht installiert, dennoch bricht er die Installation vorzeitig ab aus o.g. Grund...

hier der Debug-log
https://bin.disroot.org/?9b8c915bf6f9fd42#Pl2FRdhgA8EarOFmm0Cjxz03wVw2pByLkabalDNDRe0=

Token: yfqu360obr

Hast du eine Idee? Im Webinterface steht Lost connection to API?

Nachtrag:
Was mich auch sehr stutzig macht, bei meinem ersten Versuch als unbound vorher installiert war, stand im Debuglog immerhin dass er via localhost eine DNS-Auflösung machen konnte, nur nicht via Pihole. Mittlerweile kommt bei beiden ein Fehler.

Dann erhalte ich wieder folgende Fehlermeldung:

Not running

chown: Zugriff auf '/etc/pihole/dhcp.leases' nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Failed to set capabilities on file `/usr/bin/pihole-FTL' (Operation not supported)
The value of the capability argument is not permitted for a file. Or the file is not a regular (non-symlink) file

dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Permission denied

Mittels netstat wird nichts für Port 53 gefunden.

Your debug log is showing a number of problems, perhaps related to your OS, which I believe is unsupported.

FTL is not running:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Ports in use
*:22 sshd (IPv4)
*:22 sshd (IPv6)
*:80 lighttpd (IPv4)
*:80 lighttpd (IPv6)

Since FTL is not running, your web interface won't show any statistics (these are from FTL) and your Pi-Hole won't function properly. The section of the debug log below is the test for function - in this case the test cannott find a blocked domain in gravity to test, because your gravity list is empty.

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv4) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✗] Failed to resolve  via localhost (127.0.0.1)
[✗] Failed to resolve  via Pi-hole (192.168.178.153)
[✓] doubleclick.com is 216.58.207.174 via a remote, public DNS server (8.8.8.8)

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Gravity list

-----head of gravity.list------

-----tail of gravity.list------

Devuan is an Debian fork, wich is supportet.
The only difference is that systemd has been replaced by sysvinit.

That's why I asked if systemd is nessecary?

No. We install only a sys-v script (/etc/init-d/pihole-FTL). We do not use any systemd specific parts at the moment. This will change in the future, but we will always do your best to keep compatibility to both, sysV and systemd.

This is a major issue of your system and likely the main reason for everything that is not working. Is /usr/bin/pihole-FTL a regular exectuable? If so, then your system does not support setting capabilities which means that much more has been changed under the hook (not only systemd has been replaced). There is a solution for you available in case you confirm that capabilities are not available on the OS you used. Furthermore, Pi-hole v4.1 will be able to deal with such a scenario automatically and improves support for such special OS.

1 Like

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3353280 Nov 18 17:57 pihole-FTL

I don't know what you mean? Can you explain (in german)?

I'm looking forward to v4.1 :star_struck:

Ja. Es gibt unter Linux "capabilities", siehe z.B. hier für eine ganz passable Beschreibung. Dein System scheint dies nicht zu unterstützen.

Eine Möglichkeit drum herum zu kommen ist in der Datei /etc/init.d/pihole-FTL die Zeilen

gehen einfach nur

pihole-FTL

auszutauschen.

Danach sudo service piole-FTL restart.

pihole-FTL läuft schonmal! :star_struck:
Du bist ein HELD!

bei dem Befehl sudo service piole-FTL restart
kommt:
Not running

FTL started!

Ja, das passt so. Diese Fehlermeldung kommt immer dann wenn man den Pi-hole DHCP Server nicht nutzt, ist jedoch nur kosmetischer Natur und wird in v4.1 nicht mehr da sein.