Pihole not working either network-wide nor when setting single PC to use it as DNS

Expected Behaviour:

Pi-hole allowing any traffic through in any form.

Hardware:
Belkin N150 Wireless Router - Model: F9K1001v5 (01B)
This is a router connected to the house's modem/router
Raspberry Pi 3
Fresh SD card
Ethernet connection

Process:
Fresh install of Raspbian Stretch Lite
sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, etc
change /etc/dhcpcd.conf to pastebin_1 to set static IP (that works at least though eth0 seems to have been renamed enxb827eb8e5ac8. I don't know what is too much sharing for the results of ifconfig so I'll not paste that here unless requested)
run curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash I don't remember my specific settings but I chose the defaults for everything including enxb827eb8e5ac8 over wlan0

set ufw so that ufw status outputs

To                         Action      From
--                         ------      ----
22                         ALLOW       Anywhere
53                         ALLOW       Anywhere
80                         ALLOW       Anywhere
22 (v6)                    ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)
53 (v6)                    ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)
80 (v6)                    ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)

I changed my router's DNS Address to 192.168.2.145 and have tried setting the backup to 192.168.2.145, 8.8.8.8, 0.0.0.0 (all based on sources I read), but all my devices say that there is no internet access. When I try to ping 192.168.2.1 (router address) from my pi, all packets fail. Same result with 8.8.8.8.

I then read about changing the DNS server of a single device on the network to the IP of the pi so I did that with my PC according to the instructions here, but that didn't work either. No traffic was able to pass through to the internet.

I believe that the issue may be related to the fact that my router only has a DNS setting in the WAN section rather than also in the LAN section. Source1 Source2

Actual Behaviour:

I read hours upon hours of help topics on here, github, and reddit and had 50+ tabs open and tried then undid everything they suggested, but I wasn't able to figure it out. I got rather frustrated until I decided that Maybe I should just write my own help ticket. So this is what I am doing. I am happy to retry anything in order to give more info and as a last resort, maybe even DD-WRT my router. I can post screenshots and pastebins of whatever is needed as long as I am comfortable not giving personal info away :slight_smile:

Debug Token:

avyhs6d63n with router DNS set to 8.8.8.8 and everything working dandily connection wise
3bnum9y31s with router DNS set to 192.168.2.145, but I had to switch my router DNS back to 8.8.8.8 in order to get it to upload

Thanks!

P.S. I will try to implement any suggestions ASAP, but I may not always be near my pi.

I see you found my old Post. My $80 D-Link firmware was too simplistic and was the root cause of my pihole issues. For only $20 you can find many very good used routers in eBay that are compatible with dd-wrt and pi hole... I can't recommend those enough. A Cisco/Linksys ea2500 (correction - EA6500) has been working for me for over a year, no trouble.
_
I had a Belkin N150 also, don't recall if it worked with pihole or not, but it wasn't dd-wrt-able.... I think I kept it just as a backup router should my main one die.

Thanks for the response! I will look into a new (used) router.

Is there a list of pi-hole-able routers? I feel like a crowd-sourced list might be very doable for the great community.

I think since you can't set LAN DNS that is the smoking gun that your Belkin just can't direct traffic to the PI.

I had the same frustrating experience even w/ the "higher end" D-LINK, which I also bricked trying to go to DD-WRT. I have no regrets w/ my <$40 used cisco EA6500 - it accepted dd-wrt w/ no trouble. The hardest part was digging for the right dd-wrt files.
_
Here is my guess - "any" DD-WRT compatible router SHOULD have LAN DNS settings whether or not you put DD-WRT on it; but if for some reason the stock firmware lets you down - swap to DD-WRT and you're golden.
_
In my experience the cisco/linksys are cheaper and robust vs. the other brands. Even the 'true-dual' bands are pretty cheap, even the faster wifi standards (AC1200 and greater).
_
dd-wrt compatible routers
filtered ebay listings

It just occurred to me that this doesn't address the issue that my PC couldn't access the internet when I set its DNS server address directly to the pi. Or does it? My intuition says that it doesn't, but you would know better.

Even though your computer is asking to resolve DNS via Pi, it still has to go through your router before getting to the Pi, and your router will simply re-direct DNS to your WAN (internet provider) or just ignore the DNS IP request. I still think it's a router issue. It's pretty rare to run a DNS server for 90%+ of homes, so a lower end router doesn't give you control over DNS routing; but a better router should/will. To remove all doubt - be sure to buy one for the DD-WRT compatible list... or you can even buy routers on ebay pre-installed w/ DD-WRT (or Tomato or your hipster firmware of choice).
_
If you find a router you like you can probably research the available settings - but that might be unnecessary work.