Pihole does not report the actual traffic

Pihole shows me that there is no webtraffic over more than 2 hours where there definitely was because I was working on my pc. This has been going on for several weeks now. Any ideas?

OSX, Brave Browser, * Pi-hole [v5.8.1]

regular updates

Pi-hole will show only the queries that it sees. If the PC is using a different DNS server, the queries from that client will not be seen or recorded by Pi-hole.

Brave browser may be using a separate DNS.

1 Like

there are no changes in the setup. the pi is hooked into my fritzbox. there are no new devices in the network. I've been using this setup for 5 years now. all of a sudden it seems that pi does not see the entire traffic anymore

Let's figure out why.

Are there any significant sudden changes in traffic shown on your dashboard?

From a client that you believe should be connected to the Pi-Hole for DNS, from the command prompt or terminal on that client (and not via ssh or Putty to the Pi), what is the output of

nslookup pi.hole

this is the output of nslookup
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ nslookup pi.hole
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53

** server can't find pi.hole: NXDOMAIN

Run this command from a client where you are not seeing queries in Pi-hole, not from the Pi itself. Unless the Pi is the device in question.

the reply from a device within the network is:

Server: 1xx.xxx.xxx.xxx (I x'ed out the true IP)
Address: 1xx.xxx.xxx.x#xx

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find pi.hole: No answer

I assume this device isn't using Pi-hole for DNS either. Hard to verify without the IP.

Please upload a debug log and post just the token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

thank you jfb for helping. me with this. sharing token url in pm with you

Just for future ref, no need to do that if it’s a debug token URL, only the devs can access it and it’s gone within 48hrs, so only a vanishingly small number of people can access it

It’s only in cases where you have PII in devices and traffic that you should edit and PM a zerobin (or some equivalent) copy

You setup your network to distribute your router as DNS server via DHCP. This is a valid setup. However, did you set Pi-hole to be the only upstream DNS server in the router?

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Networking
[✓] IPv4 address(es) bound to the eth0 interface:
    192.168.178.49/24
   * Received 548 bytes from eth0:192.168.178.1
     Offered IP address: 192.168.178.71
     Server IP address: 192.168.178.1
     Relay-agent IP address: N/A
     BOOTP server: (empty)
     BOOTP file: (empty)
     DHCP options:
      Message type: DHCPOFFER (2)
      server-identifier: 192.168.178.1
      lease-time: 864000 ( 10d )
      renewal-time: 432000 ( 5d )
      rebinding-time: 756000 ( 8d 18h )
      netmask: 255.255.255.0
      router: 192.168.178.1
      dns-server: 192.168.178.1
      domain-name: "fritz.box"
      broadcast: 192.168.178.255
      ntp-server: 192.168.178.1
      Port Control Protocol (PCP) server: 192.168.178.1

See here: Fritz!Box (EN) - Pi-hole documentation

P.S. I see you use IPv6 in your local network. But your Pi-hole got an GUA address which is subject to change (e.g. different prefix from ISP). You should assign a ULA to all devices in addition.

1 Like

i have 8.8.8.8 as the secondary DNS server. i thought it makes sense in case the pi runs into issues so the entire traffic is not blocked ...

Fritzbox does use both DNS servers. The secondary is not just a backup.
If you want a backup and still have Pihole resolve your DNS queries, you need a second pihole instance and point the entry for the secondary DNS to that.

guys - I just wanted to thank you and especially underline the kindness and professionalism of your work. Thank you for taking your time in this way to make the web a better place for us all.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.