Pi-hole with OpenWRT not resolving CNAME subdomains

Details

I'm a networking newbie and I'm trying to set up a home server so I can run various applications including applications in docker containers. I've been trying to use subdomain names in CNAME entries on pihole, but I can't get them to resolve to the home server.

I've been poring over openwrt and pihole docs, forums, and guides trying to find a solution to this, but I haven't been able to crack it so I'm looking for help.

My setup includes:

• Router: Netgear R6220
    • Running OpenWRT configured with pihole as the DNS server from the instructions (method 2).
    • IP: 10.0.0.1
  • PiHole: Pi Zero W
    • IP: 10.0.0.2
    • CNAME entry mapping api.iron.lan to iron.lan
  • Home Server: ASUS PN51
    • named iron.lan
    • no static ip
  • Docker Containers running on iron.lan:
    • envoy front proxy routing api.iron.lan to a container running a fastapi server
    • fastapi server

Expected Behaviour:

• Subdomains should resolve to the home server.
  • An HTTP request from any machine on my lan to api.iron.lan should make it to the docker container running a fastapi server

Actual Behaviour:

• Domains that map to actual machines on my lan resolve correctly (e.g. iron.lan, pihole.lan)
  • Subdomains mapped in CNAME to an actual machine do not resolve in browser or nslookup unless explicitly pointed to pihole as the DNS
  • When originating from the home server, I can make HTTP requests to "api.iron.lan" without issue.

From WSL on my laptop

pdoran@sodium:~$ nslookup iron.lan
Server:         172.22.208.1
Address:        172.22.208.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   iron.lan
Address: 10.0.0.203
Address: fd12:193c:86bb::cfe

pdoran@sodium:~$ nslookup api.iron.lan

** server can't find api.iron.lan: NXDOMAIN

pdoran@sodium:~$ nslookup api.iron.lan 10.0.0.2
Server:         10.0.0.2
Address:        10.0.0.2#53

api.iron.lan    canonical name = iron.lan.

From the home server iron.lan

pdoran@iron:~$ curl http://api.iron.lan:10000/api/rest/time -w "\n"
{"time":"2023-03-30T06:01:36.956975"}

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/RkWK6OO2/

Note that Pi-hole does not see any HTTP requests.
A client will try to resolve a given domain from a URL prior to sending the actual HTTP request.
If indeed the HTTP request would get sent and would not make it to its destination, then Pi-hole would not be involved.

Pi-hole only ever sees DNS requests - including those for your CNAME.

With your current configuration as apparent from your debug log, a lookup for your CNAME would only work if if Pi-hole's cache is populated accordingly, e.g. after a previous nslookup iron.lan.

To make Pi-hole authoritative for iron.lan, just create the respective Local DNS Record.

Alternatively, create the respective subdomains like your api.iron.lan directly as Local DNS records.

EDIT:

That machine is using 172.22.208.1 for DNS, not Pi-hole.

Thanks for the advice. I did this and it worked immediately. However, a day later, I'm again unable to locate iron.lan and api.iron.lan. I don't understand why this would happen.

DNS:

CNAME:

OpenWRT
Screenshot 2023-04-01 194154

nslookup from pihole

pdoran@pihole:~ $ nslookup api.iron.lan
Server:         fd12:193c:86bb::1
Address:        fd12:193c:86bb::1#53

pdoran@pihole:~ $ nslookup api.iron.lan 10.0.0.2

Address: 10.0.0.194

nslookup from wsl on my laptop

pdoran@sodium:~$ nslookup api.iron.lan

pdoran@sodium:~$ nslookup api.iron.lan 10.0.0.2

Address: 10.0.0.194

nslookup from a Windows command prompt:

C:\Users\pdoran>nslookup iron.lan
Server:  OpenWrt.lan
Address:  fd12:193c:86bb::1

Name:    iron.lan
Addresses:  fd12:193c:86bb::cfe

C:\Users\pdoran>nslookup api.iron.lan
Server:  OpenWrt.lan
Address:  fd12:193c:86bb::1

*** OpenWrt.lan can't find api.iron.lan: Non-existent domain

I suspect there are issues with wsl and windows, but looking at the network connection my OpenWRT settings are definitely broadcasting that pihole is the DNS server:

Screenshot 2023-04-01 194750

Are there additional settings with OpenWRT or pihole that I must do in order to get this to work?

That's a separate issue:
The failing nslookups are not using Pi-hole, but resolvers at 172.22.208.1 and fd12:193c:86bb::1, e.g.:

You should probably point the machines that ran those nsloookups to your Pi-hole for DNS as well.

But if those alternates are used by intention, you should make sure that those 172.22.208.1 and fd12:193c:86bb::1: use your Pi-hole as their only(!) upstream.

You may verify that your Pi-hole is in the upstream resolution chain by running:

nslookup pi.hole

By default, only Pi-hole knows how to resolve pi.hole.

This last bit helped tremendously; pi.hole was not resolving because it was pointing to the IPv6 server. Turns out that OpenWRT router was broadcasting itself as the IPv6 DNS server; I believe this was a default setting.

It needs to be disabled in OpenWRT under the lan interface settings:

Interfaces > Lan > DHCP Server > IPv6 Settings

Screenshot 2023-04-03 205708

Disabled the setting and rebooted the router (just in case) and everything seems to work as expected.

Thank you for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.