Pi-Hole with Linksys Router & Mesh Network

Hi.

I have been using Pi-Hole for a couple of weeks on my local network successfully configuring individual devices to use the Pi-Hole’s DNS, but after a recent trip away, wanted to set it up so I could use my Open VPN access to take advantage of the blocking all the time.

As far as my network landscape is concerned, it looks something like this...

Internet
> ISP’s Router (Passive)
> Linksys WRT-3200 (DCHP management on and contains Open VPN configuration)
> Velop mesh network running off the WRT-3200 to which most devices connect.

Initially, I had plugged my Pi-Hole into the mesh network and had been configuring individual devices with the DNS settings however this doesn’t work when I access from outside the network using Open VPN.
So I followed the instructions in the FAQs (How do I configure my devices to use Pi-hole as their DNS server?) on how to set the DNS up in the router’s settings, which I applied to the WRT-3200 and I then ran into trouble. My Velop network turns red and devices lose access to the internet.

As a bit of a noob, I’m not really sure how I should set myself up her so maybe someone can help me understand how this should be done...

For example...
Which router should I connect the Pi Hole to?
Is the WRT-3200 the correct place to do the DCHP?
Which router should I add the DNS setting to?
Are there other settings I am missing?

Think I’m a way off getting this right at the moment and would be grateful of any help.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.