Pi-hole v4.0 Released With FTLDNS, Improved Blocking Modes, Regex, Docker, and More

I understand - and agree with - the reasoning behind. But I am concerned with being "locked out" from updates on one blocklist by an other blocklist.

I changed my gravity.sh and inserted:

if [ dig $domain +short | grep 0.0.0.0 -c -ge 1 ]; then
ip=dig @1.1.1.1 +short $domain
if [ echo $url | awk -F '://' '{print $1}' = "https" ]; then
port=443;
else port=80
fi
echo -e "${OVER} ${CROSS} ${str} ${domain} is currently blocked by pi-hole. Circumventing pi-hole and trying again";
echo -ne " ${INFO} ${str} Pending..."
cmd_ext="--resolve $domain:$port:$ip $cmd_ext"
fi

Just before:

httpCode=$(curl -s -L ${cmd_ext} ${heisenbergCompensator} -w "%{http_code}" -A "${agent}" "${url}" -o "${patternBuffer}" 2> /dev/null)

My blocklists now update even if the URL is blocked by pi-hole:

$ pihole -g
[i] Neutrino emissions detected...
[✓] Pulling blocklist source list into range

[i] Target: hosts-file.net (grm.txt)
[✗] Status: hosts-file.net is currently blocked by pi-hole. Circumventing pi-hole and trying again
[✓] Status: Retrieval successful

[i] Target: reddestdream.github.io (minimalhosts)
[✓] Status: No changes detected

[i] Target: raw.githubusercontent.com (hosts)
[✓] Status: Retrieval successful

Quick question : Are there any limitations to running Pi-hole v4.0 when it comes to the used Debian/RaspBian version ?

In other words :
Can I safely upgrade version 3.3.1 running on Raspbian Jessie like I mentioned here => Unexpected version of dnsmasq on Raspbian Jessie
to the latest version of Pi-Hole ?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Yes V4.0 is safe to run on Jessie. Make sure you are on the master branch by using pihole checkout master

1 Like

Hello,

I used the iptable fix for the "endless loading time issue" with the last pi hole version and updated today to version 4.

Have I to do anything to remove this no longer needed fix or does the new update erase it automatically?

Greetings

iptables -L --line-numbers

will show you the ones.

Then you can use

iptables -D <CHAIN> <LINE NUMBER>

to delete them.

1 Like

Perfect. It worked fine. Thank you very much!

Marginal note: you have to be a super user to do this.

Guys... you didn't lie : Version 4.0 is a INSANE FAST ad blocking BEAST!!! :smiley:

Thank you & Keep up the good work! :sunglasses: :+1:t2::+1:t2:

4 Likes

I tried the pihole -up command and it updated the Core without any problems. However when trying to update the FTL, I get

[i] FTL Checks...
[i] Downloading and Installing FTL...curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
[✗] Downloading and Installing FTL

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

This has been a problem for some. The solution for many has been to change the local name server for Pi-Hole to a 3rd party DNS, then run the update.

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf and change 127.0.0.1 to a commercial DNS (1.1.1.1 will work). Save and exit.

Then rerun pihole -up

If the update is successful, the resolv.conf file will change back to 127.0.0.1.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. I tried exactly what you said, but I'm still getting the same exact error. I'm completely ignorant so any other thoughts would be helpful.

Edit resolv.conf the same way, but then run pihole -r instead of pihole -up. Select the "repair" option.

I had this problem indeed, but noticed the issue immediately so it was a quick fix that didn't really bother me :slight_smile: