Pi-hole shows client IP address instead of hostname on reboot

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

On reboot pi-hole maintains client hostnames in top clients list

Actual Behaviour:

When I reboot the pi-hole (Intel NUC) the top clients list is IP addresses instead of hostnames

Debug Token:

o3yoq3cxsg

I use my router as the DNS/DHCP server, so forward and reverse lookups work fine. It's only when I reboot the Intel NUC that pi-hole displays the clients as IP addresses when it's been displaying hostnames fine.

Doing 'sudo service pihole-FTL restart' shows the hostnames again

It may be that FTL starts up before networking. I'm checking with the rest of the team...

Please restart your Intel NUC and generate a debug log immediately afterwards.

Thanks for your replies!

Have restarted the NUC and ran a debug once it was back up, debug token: b413zew40y

I'm very sorry for not having checked back with you for so long, I've been buried under additional stuff at work and haven't had much free time lately. Does your issue still exist? If so, could you please generate another debug log?

All good, this is pretty low priority anyway

Yep, issue still persists debug here spxi2jr4kx

Easy fix add the clients to /etc/hosts

IP clienthostname

DHCP and DNS is handled by an Edgerouter not the pi-hole, I don't want to hardcode client IP and hostnames on the pi-hole

The issue is probably pi-hole starting before Ubuntu networking, so restarting pihole-ftl restores the hostnames post reboot

Yes, I agree with your interpretation of what is happening. This also matches what your debug log contains: one client is recognized as ra*** but for the others only IPs are shown.

We are doing final tests for FTL v2.11 which contains a bug fix that addresses your issue:

It may not work immediately after a reboot of your Pi-hole but the re-resolving will happen within an hour (at most).

1 Like

Nice, good work :slight_smile:

Yeah, ra*** is the pi-hole itself so that makes sense

Looking forward to it becoming available

FTL 2.11 has just recently been released, so if you run pihole -up you should have the fix.

Thanks, upgraded now

Edit: Just had a chance to reboot and after awhile the IP addresses resolve to hostnames, so that's good :slight_smile:

Yeah, I don't think we should do that too often to prevent flooding with PTR requests. However, I think that once per hour is a fair compromise. It also allows FTL to keep track of changing host names.

I marked your thread as solved :white_check_mark: as you gave a positive feedback.

Agreed, good compromise

Thanks again, keep up the good work!

Have the same problem on latest version.. uploaded logs and more info on Query on my Setup: Docker on Synology + Merlin Firmware Router