Pi-Hole not blocking ads after reboot (debian 10)

Expected Behaviour:

After fresh install of my OS (debian 10), I installed pi-hole via '' curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash'' (and config my router). Its work fine but after reboot my PC it doesnt work anymore.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/r261s3b5g1

My OS is debian 10 (version 10.6). The only thing I installed before Pi hole it was ''curl'' and ''nvidia driver''. That's all that changes on my PC.

To clarify, Pi-hole is installed on the PC? Is the PC running Linux or do you have Pi-hole installed in a VM or other container? If the PC is not running Linux, what OS is the PC running?

Pi-hole is installed on the PC?
Yes, is installed on the PC.

Is the PC running Linux or do you have Pi-hole installed in a VM or other container?
My pc is running Linux

After you reboot the PC, is Pi-hole not starting, or are clients no longer able to access Pi-hole?

After you reboot the PC, is Pi-hole not starting?
I can enter the page of pi hole (192.168.1.xxx)

are clients no longer able to access Pi-hole?
how can i do this?

the command nslookup pi.hole tell me this
Server: 208.67.222.222
Address: 208.67.222.222#53

** server can't find pi.hole: NXDOMAIN

This client is not using Pi-hole for DNS resolution. It is using OpenDNS.

OpenDNS is the option I chose on installation.

Why the client is not using Pi-hole DNS?

Try distribute the Pi-hole IP for DNS to the clients via the router DHCP service:

If dont have those DNS options in the router DHCP server section:

If I understand your setup correctly, you've installed PI-hole on the same machine that you expect to use Pi-hole for DNS: Your Linux PC.

As Pi-hole is meant to be run on a server, it won't change its host systems DNS settings.

As long as your PC acquires its IP address via DHCP, and your router distributes Pi-hole as local DNS server via DHCP, your PC should start using Pi-hole as soon as it requests a new DHCP lease.

In case you manually configured your PC with a static IP (which is what Pi-hole's installation encourages), you'd need to manually configure DNS servers for your PC as well, e.g.by editing /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/dhcpcd.conf accordingly.

Yes, thats my setup!! thanks for understand me (my english its bad). Ok, I understand what do you mean.
I change my PC's ip (192.168.1.118) and my pi-hole's ip is 192.168.116.

I change my PC's ip using DHCP reservation (router setup). On the screen you can see my new ip and the first DNS (pihole's ip).

Pihole doesn't work :frowning:

Edit the file /etc/dhcpcd.conf on your Linux PC and change the nameserver for the active network interface to the Pi-hole IP.

Its work! Its work!
THANKS TO EVERYONE!!! :slight_smile:

I reboot my pc and PiHole keeps working!

:smile:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.