Pi-hole FTL v5.17, Web v5.14 and Core v5.12 released

Originally published at: Pi-hole FTL v5.17, Web v5.14 and Core v5.12 released – Pi-hole

As always, please read through the changelog before updating with pihole -up. (A new tag for docker image will arrive in due course.)

Please see our previous post for some highlights of this release

Pi-hole FTL changes:

What’s Changed

• Fix status of blocked special domains when they are in FTL’s DNS cache by @DL6ER in #1383
  • Revert “Remove PID and PORT file during shutdown” by @DL6ER in #1384
  • Change configuration option for REPLY_WHEN_BUSY ACCEPT > ALLOW by @sticksen in #1389
  • Increase DELAY_UPTIME to 180 seconds by @DL6ER in #1386
  • Update SQLite3 from 3.39.0 to 3.39.2 by @DL6ER in #1392
  • Add a Dev container by @PromoFaux in #1288
  • Add darkmode logos by @rdwebdesign in #1393
  • Major rewrite of the socket processing routines by @DL6ER in #1396
  • Ensure compatibility with gcc 11.2.0 (Ubuntu 11.2.0-19ubuntu1) by @DL6ER in #1412
  • Substitute “.” for empty domain names by @DL6ER in #1413

New Contributors

Full Changelog: v5.16.3...v5.17

Pi-hole Web changes:

What’s Changed

New Contributors

Full Changelog: v5.13...v5.14

Pi-hole Core changes:

What’s Changed

Full Changelog: v5.11.4...v5.12

2 Likes

This new update broke pihole for me. FTL didnt get installed properly. Unable to start DNS service.

go this message during the update process:
/usr/bin/pihole-FTL: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/bin/pihole-FTL)**

error when starting dns service:
Job for pihole-FTL.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status pihole-FTL.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

All went fine on the first view.

Please upload a debug log and post just the token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

debug url https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/DpJetMOi

thanks!

Hi guys,
thanks for the update, it looks sublime and upgrading/updating via pihole -up was as easy as always. So far I have not found a way of accessing the web interface without login, which was possible in the past. I have read through the changelog and everything which came with it. The quote is what comes close to my question. Is it no longer possible accessing the web interface without login or did I just miss the correct url (which was http://myip/admin). This url redirects me straight to the login, whereas in the past it has shown a limited version of the web interface.
Thanks in advance and all the best,
Blackbrook

1 Like

i have exactly the same problem as described by @jpone

1 Like

https://pi-hole.net/blog/2022/08/29/some-upcoming-changes/

That's the link from Please see our previous post for some highlights of this release at the top of the release notes blog post.

1 Like

Apologies ... I thought I had read everything. Thanks for highlighting it.

2 Likes

New login splash page

This change will be the most immediately obvious to those that have their web interface behind a password.

Unauthenticated requests are now presented with a login page, and the previously seen data is now suppressed until a user is logged in.

I removed the password, but do not understand the benefit of that new behaviour?
I actually quite liked it the way it was before. Some summarized information as Unauthenticated user and the full information when you log-in.
To switch to that behaviour again under settings as an option would be nice though!

4 Likes

Same problem link

1 Like

I upgraded but need old web interface for the separate white/black list pages.
Need last version * Web Interface v5.13
Thanks in advance

They are gone and won't come back. Use "Domains" instead.

I'd highly support this as I'm with @MiCado on this one. I was using it exactly the way he was using it: checking it every now and then as unauthenticated user und logged in for applying changes.

Any chance (technically possible/feasible) this may return as an option?

Thanks upfront and all the best!

3 Likes

This new update broke pihole for me. FTL didnt get installed properly. Unable to start DNS service.

go this message during the update process:
/usr/bin/pihole-FTL: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/bin/pihole-FTL)**

error when starting dns service:
Job for pihole-FTL.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status pihole-FTL.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

I had the same problem as jpone but fortunately, I use dietpi that has a built in backup and restore function. I reverted all changes. Sadly, I missed to upload a debug log.

Yes, I agree with that. How do we get it back like the way it was?

That is a fine example of the motto "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.":
being able to see piholes' current, superficial status without the need to login for those who chose to set a password (because they may not be the only ones in their household being able to mess up its config) was perfectly fine.
This new design decision forces these users to either log in every time if they just want to check the basic status - or to get rid of the password.
Quite debatable...

1 Like

This update broke my pihole web interface.
Upgrade went fine - no errors reported, but parts of the web interface would throw errors and not load.

A look through the logs found
2022-09-05 05:32:19: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'const' (T_CONST), expecting variable (T_VARIABLE) in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/database.php on line 285
2022-09-05 05:32:28: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'const' (T_CONST), expecting variable (T_VARIABLE) in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/database.php on line 285
2022-09-05 05:32:32: (mod_fastcgi.c.421) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'const' (T_CONST), expecting variable (T_VARIABLE) in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/database.php on line 285

My raspberry pi was running PHP 7.0

I upgraded to PHP 7.3 by doing an apt-install for the 7.3 version of all installed 7.0 packages

sudo apt install php7.3-cgi php7.3-cli php7.3-common php7.3-intl php7.3-json php7.3-opcache php7.3-readline php7.3-sqlite3 php7.3-xml

One reboot later - and it's all working again.

Did I miss a dependency requirement for something newer than PHP7.0 in the current (or previous) release notes

YubiUser,

Any idea what caused the install to fail?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Number of domains not updating after gravity run