Pi-Hole and routers with third-party firmware (DD-WRT, Tomato, Openwrt)

Hello, I'm a nerd in this PI-Hole and routers with third-party firmware DD-WRT for example.
I share some advanced settings that I've tried, I know there are issues in this regard but they are very general and are spread throughout the forum. I hope and it will be helpful

I use a cisco e900 router with DD-WRT v3.0-r39137M mega (10/03/19) and an Orange Pi One with ARMbian Strech.

IP Router 10.0.0.1
IP Pi-Hole 10.0.0.141

DD-WRT configurations

Dnsmasq

server=10.0.0.141
cache-size=2048
log-async=5
#strict-order
dhcp-option = 6,10.0.0.141

Configurations in my Pi-Hole

And this is the result in my Pi-Hole

I have also used Tomato Firmware and OpenWrt.

These are the configurations

Tomato Firmware Configurations
Configurations LEDE / Openwrt Firmware

These settings are when you use your router's DHCP server and NOT your Pi-Hole server.
If someone has a different configuration; I would really appreciate it if you published it in this topic

1 Like

This is handy for those who are running pi-hole on a separate machine. Thank you for sharing.

I would very much be interested in learning the best way to setup pihole, but running directly on the DD-WRT enabled router. My router (that runs DD-WRT) has enough resources to handle running pi-hole, but I'm just stumped on how to get everything to play nicely together.

Pi-Hole running on a router is not supported.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/compatibility/

1 Like

Cool. thanks for the tip @jfb . I've written up my exploratory thoughts at DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - Steps to bring Pihole to DD-WRT - could you take a look and let me know if what I wrote makes sense ?

Looks OK to me.

1 Like

I've got one Pi-Hole running now on a 3B+, using the settings you provided. I was wondering, what if I wanted a backup Pi-Hole running, what would the Dnsmasq settings have to be?

Love the name @doctorwho69

I found a few things out after looking more.

I just added this for a backup PI-Hole in DD-WRT:
server=192.168.1.71
cache-size=2048
log-async=5
#strict-order
dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.71,192.168.1.34

It works, not sure if it is right, but it works LOL