Pi-hole admin inconsistenty appearing

OK. I'll leave the PIH IP alone for now, since it's working. The PIH Admin shows all of my GHome devices (Static) are active with PIH. So, I'm going to change the DNS1 and DNS2 on my cell to the PIN IP and see what happens.

Fingers crossed :wink:
:crossed_fingers:

Yea! It seems to be working. The Admin page shows multiple clients, including my cell phone. The Cell phone query entry shows "cashed", others "forwarded". Do I care?

That is perfectly normal :slight_smile:

Pi-hole remembers hostnames you already visited in a cache instead of forwarding them upstream, so those queries will be answered much faster than the forwarded ones.

Glad it is working for you now. :partying_face:

Many thanks again for your support.

Since this is a welcomed, but new experience, I'm going to limit PIH access to a single device for a day, or so, before expanding to other devices in the network. I'm also trying to correlate the identification of active queries with the associated device. There's several "unknowns" and files with a "lan" suffix.

I've reviewed the HELP link in the PIH Admin to get better educated on it's use. In particular, I've been trying to understand how host names are created. For example, there's a "5268.lan" host name in the Network Overview, and several other "lan" files. Interestingly, the 5268ac is the host router id, but there's no reference in the Router's
LAN IP Address Allocation page for a 5268ac device name. There are also no "lan" file names in the LAN IP Address Allocation.

Is there a web location where I can get educated on how the host names are created so that I can get a better "feel" for which devices are active?

Wikipedia has comprehensive general information on hostnames.

It's a bit out of scope for Pi-hole (but click for more to get you started)

The basic principle is the same:
A device in your network has a label name (e.g. laptop), and that name can be extended by a domain (i.e. lan), separated by a dot.

Note that a device can be associated with multiple names, as your device's OS might claim a name for itself, your router may indepedently attach a name to it, and Pi-hole can do that as well (also partially discussed in How to show readable hostnames when Conditional Forwarding supplies only gobbledygook).

The local domain name part (i.e. lan in your case) is commony provided by your router and sometimes referred to as search domain.
While Pi-hole's DHCP server provides a field to change that name, most consumer-grade routers won't allow you to do so, so you'd have to live with that domain name.

Note that Pi-hole's Query Log doesn't show device names, but rather clients based on their IP addresses. For that reason, a device may show up as multiple clients in Pi-hole, e.g. if it had more than one network adapater (WiFi and Ethernert) or more than one IP address (IPv4 and potentially several IPv6).

Things get a little more complicated when you own a public Internet domain and want to use that in your internal network as well.
While this is beyond Pi-hole, a search in these forums may well yield some user's recommendations on how to achieve this.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.