Pi-hole admin inconsistenty appearing

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

display of admin page

Actual Behaviour:

no data recieved
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/yfgp3joni8

(I've edited your originally provided tricorder URL for typos, link is valid now.)

Your Pi-hole's network integration is not configured correctly:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Networking
[✗] No IPv4 address(es) found on the eth0 interface.
[✗] No IPv6 address(es) found on the eth0 interface.
[i] Default IPv4 gateway: 192.168.1.254
   * Pinging 192.168.1.254...
[✗] Gateway did not respond.

From a terminal / console on your Pi-hole machine, try running the following command:

sudo pihole -r

and choose reconfigure.

Message still reads "Can't be reached". On prior occasions it loaded correctly, was able to set the DHCP to static. Then when trying to reset the browser, it asked for an address/mask/firs and last address and leasetime = 24. In the process of checking it out by reloading the admin it would not load. Tried on the cell phone and desktop. So, I'm stuck

That worked. The router is requesting a router address, I assume that's the 192.168.1.112. What would the Subnet mask be? I also assume that the lease time should be set to zero.

The Phole-admin now shows Router IP address 192.168.1.105, with an address range of 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.251, but no subnet mask. When attempting to create a static (manual) router address, I get a request for a subnet mask. When entering without a subnet mask I get an error "** Router Address should not start with address in CG_NAT**".

The entered router settings are:
Router Address 192.168.1.105
Subnet Mask
First DHCP Address 192.168.1.0
Last DHCP Address 192.168.1.251

What should the correct settings be? What would be the Subnet Mask?

This seems to be a general network configuraton issue rather than Pi-hole.
Let's see how far I can accompany you journeying through your settings :wink:

That's unusual.
Normally, a router would assign itself an address automatically, commonly a .1, less often a .254. Also, most routers would configure a home network at a range /24 subnet by default (same as described by a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask).
Are you positive your router is requesting you to manually pick an address?

Knowing your router model could also help, on the odd chance that I happen to be familiar with it, or for attracting users that would.

Also, when you refer to settings, it is not entirely clear whether you refer to the settings of your router or settings within Pi-hole.

It seems you are trying to configure Pi-hole as DHCP server.
While that is fine and absolutely valid, be aware that this is optional: In most cases, Pi-hole would also work if you just configured your router to point your devices to use Pi-hole as DNS server.
You may wish to read more about this in Pi-hole's documentation (I have linked the corresponding passage directly).

And as you adopted your configuration since your first post, could you please provide a new debug token?

I'm trying to configure my router (ATT5268ac) to the recommended PI-Hole settings to behave as a server. The installation of the PI-Hole yielded: IP Address 192.168.1.105, IP Address Range: 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.251, but no sub-mask. The DHCP settings in my router (ATT5268ac)
for changing it's address to Static/192.168.1.105 (PI-Hole source), requires (1) a router IP address, (2) a sub-mask address, and (3) the beginning and ending acceptable IP address ranges.

In order to accommodate the static settings and PI-Hole IP address as the default in the router, I accessed my router, tabbed to the DHCP setting section and entered the PI-Hole recommended IP address, beginning and ending IP address ranges, without the subnet mask, since I don't know what to enter. And, the error occurs, not accepting the proposed changed IP (PI-Hole) address.

Here's the PI-Hole settings:

Here's the router change settings input section ( You'll note that I changed the "To" for the IP ending address range as a test to see if it would work in the attached image. The PI-Hole used 251 in the "To" ending address range - didn't work):

Thank you for the screenshots, that makes it a lot clearer.

As you have opted for using Pi-hole as DHCP server, am I correct to assume that your ATT5268ac router wouldn't allow configuring DNS?

When opting for Pi-hole as DHCP, it would be preferable that Pi-hole is the only DHCP server on your network.
Would you be able to disable DHCP completely on your router?

I don't know how to disable my router. However, I may be approaching this all wrong. All I'm trying to do is to insure that the PI-hole routes all of the device web access pass through it to block the ads, etc. I have 2 cell phones and two computers accessing the web via the router. Some of the traffic seems to be filtered via PI-Hole, based on the Admin page.

Here's the PIHole Admin Page (Note "1 Client"):

Here's the settings activity log, but note that the Number of queries is zero, although all of the devices have been active. The IP address for all devices are set to static.

Here's the other relevant PIHole page:

Once again, sorry for being a pest. I really would like to fully employ the PIHole.

Thanks, Russ

Did a quick search and found att-forum where the image below is taken from
att5268ac

From what i can tell from searching a bit, it seems like you cannot even change the DNS to a custom,
you can try the trick by setting DHCP range to a single ip address, otherwise your only option is to set your router to default settings and disable DHCP on pihole and individually set every device to use the pihole as the dns server. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Absolutely no need to - lending support or patching up knowlegde gaps is among the most preeminent reasons for this forum to exist. It may as well be me who has been too slow to understand your problem. :wink:

So your ATT5268ac router doesn't allow to change its DNS settings, and it does not allow to turn off DHCP - bugger! (click for why).

This would lead to a race between your router and Pi-hole when your clients broadcast requests for DHCP.

Your clients may thus use either your router's DHCP and DNS or Pi-hole's DHCP and filtering DNS seemingly at random, with some devices being filtered and some not.

Also, the admin panel would be accessible by name (i.e. http://pi.hole/admin) only for those devices that use Pi-hole as DNS.

The recommendation that chillax dug up is well suited to counter this.

In your case, this could be translated to the following configuration.

In your ATT5268ac settings:

Router setting
Router Address 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
First DHCP Address 192.168.1.2
Last DHCP Address 192.168.1.2

If you can, also configure a DHCP lease reservation (aka fixed address) for 192.168.1.2 as IPv4 address for your Pi-hole in your router.

Accordingly, use 192.168.1.2 as your Pi-hole machine's IP address.
To that end, open a command prompt on your Pi-hole, then run
pihole -r and choose reconfigure.

Configure Pi-hole's Settings | DHCP range as follows:

Pi-hole setting comment
From 192.168.1.20 (min. .3)
To 192.168.1.200 (max .254)
Router 192.168.1.1
If choosing different values, be sure ranges of your router and Pi-hole do not overlap (click for more).

You may pick a larger range here (as indicated by min and max values) to accomodate more clients.

The most common reason for leaving gaps in DHCP range (like I proposed) is to allow for devices that only support or prefer static IP address assignment (e.g. network printers). Don't know if you have any of those, but setting aside a few numbers doesn't hurt either (unless you already have more than 180 devices in your network).

1 Like

Made router changes - accepted as successful, but lost internet connection and now get message "can't connect to this network". Rebooted both router and pc.

Now stuck without access.

This being sent via cell phone data. Login on pc shows

What happened?

Your Windows device has grabbed the only available DHCP lease for 192.168.1.2 on your router's range.

We need 192.168.1.2 to be assigned to Pi-hole.

If you cannot assure that by means of a DHCP lease reservation for your Pi-hole machine in your router (as suggested earlier), you should switch off or disconnect all devices connected to your router, including your Pi-hole as a first measure. Then switch only your Pi-hole-machine back on. This should make your Pi-hole grab the intended IP address.

Please report back whether you are able to restore access by these steps.

Did that. No change. The raspberry wifi icon shows ... wlan0 associated with Att6wqaec. Wlan0 configured 169.254.54/16. eth0 link is down. The chrome browser in raspberry shows site cannot be reached.

Did you run pihole -r ?

And as you mention wlan0 and eth0:
How do you log on to your RPi?

Still off line, but you mentioned to disconnect the raspberry pi from the router? The raspberry is now only connected hdmi to monitor and power. Should it be connected via cable to the router?

Yes, of course - it should be reconnected.

Ok. My stupidity. There never was a cable connection btw the raspberry and my router. I didn't see any installation instruction to do that.

It's now cable connected to the router.

I couldn't complete the reconfigure since it doesn't have internet and the FTL wasn't found.

I still cannot connect to the internet.

Run from your RPi, what's the output of

ip address show

Ip address show ...