Option to mitigate "Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached" issue?

The issue I am facing:

Recently I run a Pi-Hole using Docker container inside a middle-size network environment, with a total of more than 1 thousand clients, and I saw the dnsmasq warning:

Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)

The most related discussion thread seemed to be Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached, but the situation doesn't look the same, the question in the last comment still remains unresolved.

I know it's not normal to reach the limit in a small-size family or office, and as I'm using it in a much larger scenario, would like to know how can we revise the limit?

We know that we can increase the limit of dnsmasq with the option -0, --dns-forward-max=<queries> (reference: dnsmasq(8) - Linux man page), but it doesn't look like that Pi-Hole runs an independent dnsmasq process that I can manipulate(not so sure though), and related documentation or configs are both not found, is there any proper way that can help to change the limit of it? Thanks a lot!

Details about my system:

Pi-Hole Docker container:

It does - pihole-FTL is the process running dnsmasq.

https://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

Make a new configuration file in directory /etc/dnsmasq.d.

Does that mean I can pass the parameter directly to pihole-FTL process?

I guess I missed that the long option is how we set the config in a file, sorry :sweat_smile:

CONFIG FILE

At startup, dnsmasq reads /etc/dnsmasq.conf, if it exists. (On FreeBSD, the file is /usr/local/etc/dnsmasq.conf ) (but see the --conf-file and --conf-dir options.) The format of this file consists of one option per line, exactly as the long options detailed in the OPTIONS section but without the leading "--". Lines starting with # are comments and ignored. For options which may only be specified once, the configuration file overrides the command line. Quoting is allowed in a config file: between " quotes the special meanings of ,:. and # are removed and the following escapes are allowed: \ " \t \e \b \r and \n. The later corresponding to tab, escape, backspace, return and newline.

1 Like

Pi-hole will read dnsmasq configurations in directory /etc/dnsmasq.d. There are at least one (and more if you have DHCP enabled in Pi-hole) existing configuration files that should not be touched.

Adding your desired configuration lines in a new file will allow them to be read by pihole-FTL and not subject to overwrite on a Pi-hole update or repair.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.