No Client IP addresses showing in Pihole

Expected Behaviour:

Client IP addresses should be showing in Pihole

Actual Behaviour:

All queries are shown as docker internal address 172.17.0.1

Debug Token:

o4gioo07y1

Hi, relative noob here so I would really appreciate your help.

I know this seems to be a common issue but I have spent days researching and can't find a definitive answer or fix.

My setup:

Pihole running on Docker Desktop on a windows 10 machine using WLS2. IP address 192.168.1.203.
Also running on this machine is VMware Workstation with one VM bridged to the network adapter. I run a virtual Synology NAS using IP 192.168.1.204.

I have a router running the latest FreshTomato. The router is configured to use Cloudflare in the WAN DNS settings. The router is also configured to provide my local devices with fixed DHCP addresses and the DNS of 192.168.1.203 (Pihole) by using DNSmasq. I have checked all my devices and I can confirm they all have the Pihole as their DNS. The Pihole is configured with my router IP (192.168.1.1) as the only DNS. I have also enabled Conditional Forwarding using my LAN IP range. I haven't setup a domain and probably don't intend to. I would also like to keep my router as my DHCP server if possible.

My expectation was that while I wouldn't see each devices hostname I would at least see the requests coming from each IP address. However all I see is 172.17.0.1 (Docker Network) and localhost which I assume is the windows device the Docker Pihole is running on.

Im worried I've missed something really obvious so any help at all would be amazing.
Also I didn't want to overload the post but please let me now if any other info is required.

Many thanks in advance

As you didn't configure your router to use Pi-hole as ist upstream DNS server, but rather distribute it as local DNS server via DHCP, that rules out the most common cause for seeing your router as Pi-hole's only client.

So it's very likely you are using a Docker network mode that would route all DNS requests to a virtual gateway within the isolated network it creates. The only sure way that I'm aware of to get around this would be to switch to Docker's host network mode.

However, I think that very mode is not available in Docker for Windows.

There may be a way to get around this by means of some custom network configuration and/or manipulating the iptables rules for Docker, but that would be a question for the Docker community.

Thank you for your very prompt reply.

That was an answer I was half expecting knowing the issues with docker on windows and its limited network config options.

I think maybe I will just pop it in a linux vm and be done with docker for this particular project.

Thanks again

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.