Local DNS Records only working on some devices

I just updated to Pi-hole v5.0 and i wanted to use the new "local dns records" functionality.
I have been using my pihole as DNS and DHCP for a couple of months now and i had some custom hostnames added in my /etc/hosts file that pointed to a server on my local network. Suddenly, the hostnames could no longe be resolved from my main Desktop PC. Whenever i try to access one of the hostnames, i get a "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" error. On my phone, notebook and tablet i could still access the webserver those hostnames pointed to. Even adding new hostnames works for those devices, but not my desktop PC.
I have tried to flush the dns on my PC, but that did not help. Now, even on my Tablet (Android) i can no longer resolve the local hostnames.

What is going on? :smiley:

It is likely that those clients have a DNS other than Pi-hole that they are using. From the PC command prompt, what is the output of

nslookup pi.hole

Also, please post the token generated by

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

Hey, thanks for the quick answer :slight_smile:
nslookup output:

Debug token:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/zl3b7jxohm

Also, both the PC and all other devices list the IP of the PI as DNS server when doing "ipconfig /all" :slight_smile:

That client is not using Pi-hole for DNS. It is using an IPv6 address from the FritzBox.

Weird, it seems like my FritzBox got some updates and enabled DNSv6. Does pihole support DNSv6? I can point my FritzBox to use a different DNS Server by adding the IPv6 in the FritzBox conf.

Yes. Pi-hole does support IPV6.

Ok, i just disabled DNSv6 on my FritzBox for now. That seemed to fix my problem. Thanks for your quick help :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Local DNS records not working for Windows client