Ipv6 ULA - asus merlin (ac5300)

OK, after doing some searching here and online I have not found a solution to what I am attempting to accomplish.

Goal - Use pi hole for ipv4 and ipv6 blocking.

Blocker - I can't seem to assign a ULA (local-link address) with asus merlin firmware so my ipv6 address changes and then I am not able to catch the DNS requests that are sent via ipv6.

I have successfully blocked ipv4 requests through all clients on the small home network, though there are a few sites that use ipv6 and get around the pihole.

I know I need to mess with the dnsmasq by ssh and change the config file of the Asus merlin router and I can do that no problem.

Anyone have thoughts on how I can set up a local link ipv6 with asus merlin? and if not how I can make this pi hole block ipv4 and ipv6?

Do you have IPv6 internet access? If not, then IPv6 blocking will not change anything.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Sorry it took so long to see that I had a response. I do have native ipv6 support.

I am still having issues when using ipv6 of my network (fiber 1gig down and 1 gig up) getting any faster performance for the download speeds.

I have assigned ULA addresses and that breaks the connection with ipv6.

I am running asus merlin ac5300 and pihole on a ubuntu 18.04 server

Let me know if you have any thoughts around this.

It may be easier if you simply disable IPv6.